Scheduled local folder backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by posnera, Aug 31, 2014.

1. posnera macrumors regular

I would like to set up an automated backup of my large itunes folder.
    It resides on an external drive and is excluded from my Time Machine (would overwhelm the backup disk). I have a separate external drive to use as a backup.

Is there a simple way to set this up? I've tried SyncTwoFolders, but it didn't seem to run the scheduled backups properly. I came back after a few days and didn't see a backup log.

I am now running arRsync, which works nicely but I can't figure out how to schedule it.

I am not interested in cloud backup, just local redundancy.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.bombich.com/download.html

The app Carbon Copy Cloner will do exactly what you want. Setup the source and destination then click schedule task and configure who you like.

CCC is paid software now, but the older 3.4.7 version will work for what you want to do. I would not use the older version of OS system level file copies since it has not been updated for the newer OS X versions, but for just your music the old version will work fine.

3. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Should I be worried about Mavericks non-compatibility? Or since this isn't a system level/bootable copy issue I should be fine?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Door number two. :)

5. JenPoMas macrumors newbie

6. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I use ChronoSync to run a scheduled weekly backup of my Calibre library. Would be a similar setup to your iTunes folder.

It runs every Monday and syncs a local folder 'Calibre Library' to a folder on my Synology NAS. It's been working great!