Scheduling file execution with xampp and launchd

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Sic, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Sic macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2005
    Southampton UK
    I've been looking around for the last couple of days and I can't seem to find anything about it. I wanted to set a cron, but apparently launchd has superseded cron. I've found tutorials on scheduling tasks, but nothing that will allow me to execute a php file at a given interval!

has anyone got any info on setting this up? I don't really know where to start :/
  2. Sic thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2005
    Southampton UK
    right, I think I'm getting somewhere with this. could a kind moderator please move this to mac applications?

I've got my command that I want to execute periodically:

lynx --dump http://localhost/update.php
    and I have created a plist (com.jasper.updater.plist) file and put it in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "">
    <plist version="1.0">
    then run
    launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.jasper.updater.plist
    and running launchctl list shows that my plist is there (with a status of 1, which I can't seem to find the meaning of). However, the action isn't being run at all, and I'm not getting any error output to a text file on my desktop. can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong here, as it's driving me a little mad!
  3. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    First, I recommend looking at Lingon to manage your launchd stuff. I had similar headache and it all seemed to go magically away when I found Lingon. Also, check the permissions on your files, perhaps.

Also, my approach would be to put the command(s) in a shell script (executable text file) and run that script, rather than run it as an application or .command. If I recall a .command will open terminal when it is run? A shell script will run without opening terminal.

edit: There may be some confusion between <program> and <ProgramArguments>. Unless you know exactly what they are doing, just ignore the <programArguments> keys entirely if I recall correctly.
  4. Sic thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2005
    Southampton UK
    Thanks, tried that Lingon app but it's incredibly buggy - I just got annoyed with it not saving anything and carried on doing it manually. it's working quite well, but testing a 5 minute interval is quite irritating. I'll probably add some debugging to my bash script to make it a little easier!