Scheduling Music Playlists iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ptdavidson87, May 13, 2014.

1. ptdavidson87 macrumors newbie

I've been searching the web, and haven't found a real easy way to do this. My Brother in law, has a restaurant that they play music back from an iPad.

They would like to schedule different playlists at different times.

For example a lunch time playlist, a dinner playlist, and maybe a after hours playlist. Is there an app or a way to schedule this.

Unfortunately it needs to be on a iPad, as they don't really want to invest in a dedicated OSX machine to run an automator script, and they already have the iPad dedicated to playing back music.

Thanks for any responses.

2. psysfaction macrumors newbie

I am in the same situation and am trying to find an app to change playlists at specific time of the day. It should also have a good shuffle function so that the songs are not played in the same order

It is also for a restaurant.

The way I do it at the moment is with a Windows laptop that is running Winamp and then using the Wshed software to open playlists at specific times of the day.

I would much prefer to use an Ipod touch, Ipad or even an Android device if anyone can suggest me a good app for that.

Maybe this app request would be better suited for the "iPhone and iPod touch Apps" section?

Cheers,
    David

3. Puonti macrumors 6502a

This isn't a straightforward software solution to your problem(s), but I'll mention it here anyway (maybe someone else is able to suggest a simple app):

The Sonos app is able to schedule playlists through its built-in Alarm function and supports imported iTunes playlists (the same ones your iPad's Music app uses). You can schedule multiple alarms, each starting a different playlist at a different time.

On the hardware side you'll need a Sonos Connect, to which you'll connect an Airport Express via line-in and ethernet; as well as your speaker system via analog RCA out or the digital optical / coaxial out.

Configuring all this after the physical connections have been made adds a few more steps to the process, but instructions for doing it can be found here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241

4. psysfaction macrumors newbie

Thank you Puonti for posting your solution.

Sadly this will not work too well in our hotel since the wifi sometimes goes down and I do not want to have to rely on it.

I did some tests today on an Android device and after some tinkering with the Taskbomb app and different music players I was finally able to set it up in a good way so that it will open different playlists at specific times of the day.

Please let me know if someone else is interested in a more detailed description on how to do it on Android.

5. ptdavidson87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried Taskbomb also. Did you have any luck getting it to finish the current song before switching playlists. When I scheduled it, it was a bit abrupt. It's to bad there isn't an easy way to accomplish this. Thanks for the replies.

6. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, do you attach the iPad to the speaker system via the headphone jack?