Schizophrenic Touch/Phone - Any Questions before I return it to apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Old&Gray, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Old&Gray macrumors newbie

Gave my girl a 16gb Touch for Christmas and was so impressed with it I bought one for myself last week (8 gb, tho).

After charging for several hours, the Touch woke up and demanded:
    "Iphone software disabled, Administrator password required to enable,
    log into itunes to start" in a red banner. Logging into itunes, gets the demand:
    Enter the Administrator on the iphone".

This touch seems to think it is a phone! Thinking to myself, self ...
    I need to force a restore to latest software ... I did this and lo and behold, the
    touch booted normally into 1.1.4 and all seemed to be Good with the World...
    for about 4 hours. Unit froze while playing a tune and has been in and out of restore mode since ....

I reported the incident to Apple, and they instantly authorized the return, but I thought there might be some questions that might be out there yet to be asked about this apparent SNAFU on apple's part....

This unit has been very interesting, as it seems to be "Self Bricking", that is, it will run correctly for a while (ca. 1min to 2 hours) then suddenly go into a "White Screen of Death" and run the battery down to near 0%. If I leave it for several hours to cool off, the cycle starts over with itunes seeing it again as in need of a restore, which I do, and it works again ... etc.

Cool, huh?

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Your title is correct. Take it back. There are things you could try, but out of the box it should work fine. I have jailbroken two Touches (mine & wife's), more than once. 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 with various methods. Restored them, jailbroke them again, and nary a hiccup.

You paid dearly for this electronic marvel. Take it back.