School districts that stayed true to Apple and stayed with Macs

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by dontwalkhand, Jun 26, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I went back to visit my old School district, lo and behold, 21.5" iMacs everywhere :).

They never left Apple when other school districts switched to Wintel boxes. The old G4s are still there as well in classrooms.

It is nice to see this :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you'll find Apple present in many schools.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

A good school will provide students with the ability to use a variety of software and hardware.

4. Ounce macrumors member

It makes me smile to remember that I learned Microsoft Word and PowerPoint on original iMacs back in middle school. And of course we were browsing on Internet Explorer. In fact, if memory serves, the first word processing I ever did in school was on Apple computers in first grade. So I'm glad to hear they still have a place in the classroom. However, in my experience High Schools are less inclined to deploy Macs.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

few and far between now. More and more schools are leaving Apple. Big reason is cost. Apple does not really provide any good deals for schools.
    Add to that dell and MS provide great deals for school to get software. Cost wise it just does not make sense to go with Apple. Add in Enterprise software support from MS side is a lot better than OSX.

Colleges will but you will find that there Mac labs are by far fewer in numbers than the PC labs.
    k-12 well they can not afford not justify the cost to run both OS so they tend to go over to PC were cost wise they get cheaper and better support for PCs.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

In the UK, I doubt there is a school that has a Mac in it. There may be some, but 99% run Windows.

As for Colleges and Uni's, it depends on the course, however, due to a cut in education funding, the Mac suite on the Music Technology course I've just finished has been replaced with a PC suite.

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

My university is the best of both worlds - for every Windows computer lab, there is a Mac lab close by.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Back in the day, apple made it a priority to get macs into the class room. That day has come and gone. While there are still school systems that use Macs. Its not a priority with apple it seems.

9. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

The new Mac in classroom is the iPad.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can guess the day that changed and that is the day Steve Jobs came back. The day he came back was the day any good will from Apple was removed.

It lines up while I was in school about the time he came back was about the same time we started watching Macs start being phased out for PC.

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

What on earth are you talking about?

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

One of the first things SJ did when he came back to Apple was kill off their corporate philanthropic department. Add to that since his return we have watch the edu discounts become smaller and smaller each passing year and now the back to school specials are a new low.

Steve Jobs is a shred business man. He knows how to sell stuff but sadly his giving side is rather poor. It shows in many things. The employee discount for Apple is not very good (not talking about Apple store but more people working at the main campus).

13. aery macrumors member

aery

The high school I went to only had a few Macs in the music recording classroom but hey, at least they were there.

14. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

My old district is probably 95% Macs. I remember in 1st or 2nd grade playing Oregon Trail on a IIgs, playing it off a 5.25 inch floppy. I can still remember the teacher passing out the disks and being told to be gentle with them inside their sleeves.

6th grade brought a bunch of G3 All-In-One's where I remember adjusting all the computers Apple menus and customizing the desktops before getting in trouble by the IT guys.

High school there were colored (grape and snow for our school colors) iMacs everywhere and rolling iBook carts with an Airport Base Station on top of the cart (so cool at the time...wireless internet!?!?)

Fast forward today, and they have all new iMacs/MacBooks. I'm proud they stuck through Apple in the 90's when a lot of other schools were going PC. It definitely sparked my interest in Apple at a young age and I truly believe I wouldn't be where I am today and doing what I'm doing if they hadn't been a Mac district.

15. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think most schools use Macs for music and video production, media courses, things like that where a Mac works better than a Wintel-based machine. For everything else though a Wintel machine works fine and is cheaper so here in the UK they tend to go for those more, especially as our education sector is facing cuts.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's good that they get lots of mileage out of their G4s but I struggle to see why loyalty to a corporation is a good thing.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's a scary way to put it.

You are you, and Apple is Apple. You owe each other nothing.

18. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Who cares if a school 'stayed true to apple'. It's just a computer at the end of the day.

19. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Until I purchased a Mac this year the last time i used a Mac was in the mid 80's in school.