School Emergency, can not open the online book installer.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amycishere, May 21, 2007.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

I have a 2.0 GHZ Macbook with Intel2 Core Duo Processor.

It says I have to download the online reading software first. Once I have downloaded it, it won't let me open it to run the software on my computer.

Here is what it says:
    1. Click on this link to download the installer.
    It will end up on your Desktop or the download folder set in your browser preferences.
    2. The file downloaded is: "EbraryReader.hqx" Most OS X browsers will automatically decompress for you, if yours does not double-click the file to decompress it.
    3. An installer file with a blue VISE logo called "ebrary Reader Installer" will appear, double-click it.
    4. Quit your browser(s) as directed by the plug-in, accept the license agreement after reading it.
    5. The installer will find your /Library/Internet Plugins folder and will confirm that it is OK to install the ebrary Reader plug-in. Click "Install."
    6. After the installation is complete, click "Quit" to exit the installer.
    7. Relaunch the your browser. View a book.

I downloaded the book at first through Adobe Reader 8 but it stopped working and the company says I need Adobe Reader 7 but that is not supported by intel macs. Please help!!! Thank you.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What browser did you download it with?

It sounds like it's a PowerPC application.

3. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried it with Firefox and it just opens blank. Safari too. The site says it supports firefox or Safari.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't get what you mean by "downloaded through Adobe Reader 8", what company is telling you you need version 7 (that's nonsense), and I certainly don't know what that has to do with any of this. :confused: You download a HQX file that opens with Stuffit Expander. Inside is a VISE installer application which installs an internet plugin. What step are you stuck on? If you've installed the plugin but it's not working it's very likely it's PPC only and you'll have to run Safari or Firefox in Rosetta to get it working (Get Info on the app, click the box named "Open using Rosetta").

5. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

The website says that Adobe Reader causes problems with the book which is true for me because it stopped opening completely. When I first tried to open the book after I had downloaded Adobe 8 it took me to a page that said I needed to download a program called Digital Editions Beta. Did that. It worked until this morning. Then I tried to delete and reinstall everything. It doesn't let me reinstall the Digitial Books Beta. Everytime I open it, it just freezes.

Everytime I try to open the book now it just freezes.

Where I am at with the online book is I have downloaded the installer but you click the .hpx file and there are no icons or anything. Try to archive it, nothing. Firefox just goes crazy. Tried other applications with no success.

Now, I want to try to go back t the book I can download to the computer.
    I am trying to find Adobe Reader 7 for Mac. The official site, goolge, everywhere only has 8.0. Anyone have it?

Sorry, I hope this makes sense. Thanks so much.

I am trying to find Adobe Reader 7 for Mac. The official site, goolge, everywhere only has 8.0. Anyone have it?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can get older versions off of the Adobe site. You just need to make sure you "Choose a different version."

7. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that but the Adobe Reader Version says the same and it just lets me choose a different operating system.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You have to pick a different version...

Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.09 is still available for PowerPC.

9. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for bearing with me, is there anyway to bypass this Digital Beta thing it opens after Adobe Reader because THAT is what is freezing me comp?