School me on iCloud...please.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, May 7, 2012.

1. qdllc macrumors newbie

I don't use iCloud for a primary reason....

The PC my iPhone synchs to DOES NOT have broad band access...only dial-up.

I don't know how iCloud works well enough to figure out if I should use the feature or not.

Certainly, I could let iCloud synch when the phone is in a WiFi hot spot, but I don't need my iTunes trying to upload gigabites of videos, music, etc. over a dial-up connection.

I do know if I want to use any Apple recovery options (locator service) with my iPhone, I have to use iCloud.

Anyone able to guide me through this?

Thanks.

2. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Try THIS site. Lots of info and how to.

And of course the iCloud info on Apple's site

There are tons of threads regarding iCloud. Go to 'Search'>Advanced Search> and then type 'iCloud' in the Keyword(s) field and choose either 'Search titles only' or 'Search Entire Posts'. Either one should get you a lot of results.

Good luck :)

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's probably best to avoid iCloud. At least until Apple has time to improve it.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If I was still on Dial-Up I'd stay away from cloud anything.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

At least until the OP can get something other then dialup.

6. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

If I was on dial up I'd get broadband! Assuming its available of course. If not, I'd look into satellite, or moving.

7. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

You know....I saw the words 'dial-up' and I had t take a 2nd look. I'm thinking nah, can't be.

But I didn't want to insult the OP. But everyone else mentioned it, so......

So, why can't you get something better? You said that particular PC doesn't have access. Does that mean it isn't capable of broadband or wireless, or is dial-up the only thing you have access to?

What's your zip code? I bet I can find a service for you. I work in cable, so perhaps my company is in your area.

rbrian wants you to move if you can't get something better for Internet access....lol....I thought that was funny, but people ARE passionate about their Internet. I also do real estate, so I can help you move too ;)

8. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I long for the day when I can live in the internet! Or on a holodeck, at least...

9. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Are you 'the one', Neo?

10. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I doubt it. I didn't take the red pill. Or the green one, for that matter. My Mum told me to stay away from drugs!

11. qdllc thread starter macrumors newbie

I love where I live, but they won't install the hardware for broadband. Satellite service is utterly unreliable (did not find a single company that had a good rating for quality of service). It is moronic because it literally is about them not running a cable down one or more roads. People farther from town have access because of what road they are on and others do not.

12. tekno macrumors 6502a

Not sure where you live or what your mobile network coverage is like, but have you considered a my-fi dongle? I find my one is almost as fast as my home broadband and, although its not ideal for lots of video streaming, it could be worth looking at.

As for iCloud, I'd just steer clear. It's not a necessity, anyway, and something that can easily be done without.

13. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I agree with tekno. High speed 2 go may be your best bet. You can obtain a device from several cell phone carriers. You would probably want to use your current carrier.

14. Jedii macrumors regular

i dont like, or find icloud useful. scarily, i use microsofts skydrive, which comes with 25GB free( as in beer ) if you already have a Live account.

I wanted to use icloud, but i find it complicated.

15. qdllc thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the wireless options. I'm on the edge of service area. While they indicate at least 3G on the map, I got worse than dial-up speeds.