School me on Twitter please

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by slipper, Oct 15, 2009.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I was considering adding a shout box to my little website. I just checked out the Twitter website, but after looking over it quickly, it left me a little confused.

Twitter calls it a microblog service but it's sorta like a shoutbox. Am i correct?

Can i moderate tweets posted by others?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

No moderation might be a problem!

Is there a way i can post ONLY my thoughts and invited guests comments for other people to read?

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

What do you mean by "invited guests comments"?

I don't think Twitter is what you want. Basically with Twitter everyone can see what everyone else posts (unless they have their posts protected) and there's is no way to control what other people post.

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

6. djellison macrumors 68020

There is no 'reply' in twitter. ANYONE can write a post in Twitter with someone elses @ tag - which could be considered a 'reply' - but it really is just a new tweet that mentions the person to whom it's directed.

I'd repeat what was said above - Twitter is not what you're after. Twitter is a pseudo RSS feed / Microblogging site.

7. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

OK i guess this is why i posted this here. Cause i just don't get it. LOL

I don't really understand the term "microblogging" or the whole twitter deal. Does this mean that for anyone who follows me (or if i follow anyone else), if they post something on their own twitter, it will show on my twitter widget on my site? Sorta like a facebook?

I've noticed a particular news website that i check uses a twitter widget to post quick updates and breaking information. But no one else seems to post. My main objective is to get my information out. I mentioned in the first post a shoutbox, but this is not necessary.

And on a side note... in regards to the moderation thing, i guess i was just being a little anal about it. After thinking about it i'm thinking its not really necessary since i doubt anyone would post anything vulgar.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

In Twitter you have 3 different parts: the main stream, the @replies and the direct messages. In your main stream you see what the people you follow post; in the @replies section you see any posts that mention you (that say @yourusername); direct messages I think it's self-explanatory.

When people follow you they will basically see your posts in their main stream (although they can also see what people reply to you if they search for @yourusername).

Your website twitter widget will only show what you post.

9. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

If that's the case, perfect! BUT... Why does it say "join the conversation" on my widget? AND another forum that i visit, theres so many people tweeting on their twitter widget. its almost like a chat room.

I could care less whats going on with twitter.com and my twitter. All i am concerned with is my website widget.