Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccitrenbaum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Hi,

Once the back to school promotion begins, I'd like to purchase a laptop for college. I was disappointed to see that the cMBP was not updated during WWDC, as I had originally thought that this was the most appropriate computer for me.

In addition to the normal tasks of college (taking notes, etc), I'll be using my laptop for music production (Logic, Pro Tools, etc.). Additionally, it's likely that I use the computer for some light gaming (maybe CS:GO, CoD, Civilization, etc). Considering that the MBP wasn't updated, which seems like the most logical purchase? It's also worth noting that my current audio interface works via Firewire, so I'd have to buy an adapter for the MBA. I'd also almost certainly have to buy an external Superdrive for the MBA for music/movies/etc.

Any guidance would be appreciate!!

Thanks

Aaron from KY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Kentucky
It sounds like the cMBP is the one for you. Which model were you looking at? The 13" would do the first few things you mention ok, but would struggle somewhat with gaming. The 15" base model would have no problem handling whatever you throw at it, even if it's using last year's processor. So what? Even the Sandy Bridge(2011) models have more than enough power for the things you're asking for(outside of gaming).

klogg

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
I'm making a living only from mixing and creating music, I have early 2011 macbook pro, and only upgrade I've added is a Crucial ssd. Honeslty those "new" processors only use less power and have stronger integrated graphic card, so go with cMBP, and you won't look back!

Hope I have helped you, and sorry for bad English!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.