School Paper Logo

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by JohnMC, Feb 5, 2010.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I am currently working on a redesign of my school newspaper and I thought I would tackle the logo first. I am not a graphic design student so I'm looking for some opinions regarding what the professionals on MacRumors would do. I have not decided on color(s) yet but the paper is printed by a CYMK press. What do you think and what do you like/not like.

Thanks,
    John

Attached Files:

2. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Is the newspaper in black and white or color ?

If black and white the top one looks pretty good but it should be much wider if it's to be at the top of the paper.

4. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

We have a twelve page newspaper with the cover, back and pages 6 & 7 in color. Next to the logo on the masthead is were we put the index.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

6. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

Currently yes. We run a single wide strip down the left and have a wide strip on the right with our cover story.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

8. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is a very boring view of what the design layout of the paper currently looks like.

John

Attached Files:

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here's a revision.

Attached Files:

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I like the first one, you can read it in a glance.

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Humor me - try it without the initial caps. Try it in lowercase. Something about the small caps is just bothering me. </subjective>

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I like the placement of this one. I'm not sure about all lowercase as suggested by SwiftLives, but it would be easy to try. I like initial caps in web addresses on business cards and such, but that's not important in a masthead because the font is large.

Dale

I did not steal your avatar. Honest.

13. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

Peace -- I like the placement of the index on your revision. I might steal your idea.

Swiftlives -- Here is the logo set with lowercase type.

Does anyone have suggestions for color use (possibly one or two colors)?

John

Attached Files:

14. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

even though as a designer, i'm usually favouring minimalist works, i have to admit that you pulled off something uniquely different in the second original logo (the one with the ink stroke), and that's what I'd use. Otherwise, I think the type is generally good and set properly.
    :)

15. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Fonts may differ but the concept is not new

:eek:
    First rule of design: Research.
    Second rule of design: Originality.

Nevertheless, since this name and concept have apparently entered public domain, your first arrangement is most appealing (with improved kerning). I don't particularly care for the exaggerated character weights. I am a sucker for creative use of positive and negative spaces. Hence I wonder how a white spot would look in the negative space of the "p" or the "o." As I ponder, it may not work well on small versions - appearing as though the character plugged up a bit perhaps.

Dotting the "i" with the word "the" gives me the initial mistaken read of "link" instead of "ink."

Attached Files:

16. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

...or what about a smaller white ink blotch, within the black ink blotch to simulate the hollowness of an 'o'.

17. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Okay. Figured out what's bothering me.

On the letters you've made larger - as the size has increased, so has the relative weight. So the "I" and the "S" appear to be bolder and thicker than the rest. And it doesn't have a sense of deliberation to it. But that's not going to be a simple fix. Perhaps try it at all the same height? No small/drop caps.

It's unfortunately even more prevalent in the lowercase version. Of all that you've posted, the very first one is my fave. I'd just tinker with the kerning a little bit as a previous poster mentioned.