School project

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by David-fr, May 6, 2009.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

hello everyone!

I need help on a business project am doing for school. i was asked to come up with a business plan, and do market research to ask what people think about my business. here is the idea. A store that will have certified staff team to fix mac computers that will offer free diagnosis and will sale European phones based on orders. Would you guys take your machine if there was something wrong with it and it was out of apple care to a business like this? we will also sale phones & computer accesories accesories. I would appreciate you guys opinions.

Thanks!
    David Varela

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I might take my machine for a free diagnosis if it were much nearer to me than an Apple store where they can do the same.

To be honest, this isn't the best place to ask - most people on here are more computer literate than the masses and most of us on here wouldn't deem repairing an out-of-warranty mac as worth the high costs as opposed to just replacing the machine (and possibly recouping the costs by selling the broken one on eBay). However, a service like you mention would probably be used far more by your average consumer.

Another idea you might want to throw in the mix is if such a store were to offer trade ins on existing macs. I.e. say someone were buying a new Mac and had an old one then the store would offer them a reasonable trade in value for the old mac (maybe 20% less than they could sell it for privately). Maybe 30% less if they weren't buying a new mac. If they were buying a new mac from the store then the store could even do a free data transferal and setup. I've always thought something like this would be a real hit with consumers. Most people can't stand the hassle of having to sell something privately and would happily get 20% less so as to avoid all that hassle. The store could then resell the second hand macs itself to either new customers or via eBay.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds good to me, although having worked in a roughly similar business model, free consultations are a huge drain on time and therefore money. But anything is possible on paper, and given the crappy options presented by Apple for buying new machines it might even be worth it to have my old one fixed.

4. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!

for all the comments, and by the way apple does not offer free diagnosis. the trade in thing is very smart, i wil put in the business plan, which ill post when its finished. please pople comment if you read this, i need at least 40 ppl

5. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

please if you read this post comment about the business plan?