School/Software/Books

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BruceiD, Jun 17, 2012.

1. BruceiD, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

BruceiD macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I'm going to start my last year of high school in September this year and after that I would like to study something that involves Video editing (and programming). (Btw I live in Belgium)
    And I'm considering these:
    -Multimedia and communication technologies
    It involves programming and Video editing
    -Informatics and specializing in multimedia
    Involves editing but only in the last 2 years, more focused on actual informatics.
    -Audio-visual Techniques: Cinematography - Sound - Editing
    Explains itself

So I was wondering what you guys think is the most interesting future-job-guaranteed-academic ?

Besides that I was wondering whether software like Final Cut Pro and Adobe is cheaper for students?
    Same question concerning books

Thank you in advance!
    Bruce

2. salacious macrumors 6502a

i can only quote on software, and i would say that adobe cs6 for me works almost flawslessly, and after effects is heating up right now so it depends, i mean i have cs6 and all of apples PRO products, i prefer to have them all as it keeps it interesting to me, and thus i have a plethora of things to choose from, but i would say that i mostly use After effects and final cut.

thats just me though..

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Adobe cloud services

Look up Adobe cloud services, it's a good way to get your feet wet with out breaking the bank. You can get every program for $50/month

As far as school, I took an applied communications diploma. That covered graphic design, radio, communications (press releases, PR, people skills), video and a couple others.
    I would suggest a generalist program like this for two reasons.
    1. you're not too sure where in film you are going
    2. it gives you a set of skills rather than in one field. this makes it a little more future proof.

My HONEST opinion though? Take the money you would spend on tuition, books, etc and buy a decent camera and computer and start shooting films. I learned more from doing that than I did in my program as well as some of my friends in film school.

4. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the response, tuition in Belgium is actually super cheap ( 1 year multimedia = about €400 that you have to pay), obviously you need a good camera and some software but that's also in the US. Oh and I just found out that Adobe Master Collection €500 for a student! which is absolutely epic :D

Thanks for the response :)!

5. WRP macrumors 6502a

Look to see what the program uses for software. It makes no sense to buy CS6 if you are editing on FCP. Being able to work on projects at home is nice, but if you're working on different software it makes it a major PITA.

But, having After Effects and Photoshop are pretty much a must anyway.