school used mac mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Feb 11, 2018.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

one of the mac minis I got recently (awhile ago...Lastest Purchase thread)

I've been wondering if reinstalling Tiger or upgrading to Leopard would fix the Hard drive on it.

the problem is it seems broken when using the disk repair it says it first aid can't fix it.

I haven't gone to this school system so I have no attachments to it but I should try at least keep it the way it is but it problems booting and starting up. Would reinstalling really fix this issue? I have an easier time with it being in firewire target mode and using it that way but still it wants me to fix the disk.

what would any of you do?

2. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

The easy solution is to reinstall the OS and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you know it's something much deeper. First two culprits would be the hard drive itself and the RAM.

If it isn't any of the above, it's a much larger hardware problem and I don't know how to do that (others here do!).

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I reinstalled tiger and will update it but it does seem better. Kinda hated to lose the school setup but I couldn't use it like that since it was kinda broken.

4. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

Glad it seems to be better. Can I ask what was special about the school set up to you?

5. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I just wanted to preserve the mini and the stuff on it. Not really anything to it.