School Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by michaeldk5000, Nov 23, 2007.

1. michaeldk5000 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Up to now, I have had no problems connecting to a Wi-Fi network on the iPod Touch; having been on about 5 different ones at different peoples houses.
    When I went to school, it detected the network fine, and seemed to connect fine. The signal strength was full, but none of the internet features were working, at all. Any suggestions of what I could do?

Thanks,
    Michael.

P.s. Other people's laptops etc work alright with the school's network.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Does your school use a proxy? most would I'd have thought.

3. michaeldk5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure,

I don't know much about proxies; would people be able to get on the net with their laptops if it did?
    Is there anything I can do to get on if they did have a proxy on?

Thanks,
    Michael.

4. kiblez macrumors newbie

Michael,

I know at my school, in order to have an internet connection outside of the university's websites, you need to register the device. This is because each student only gets one IP address. You're allowed multiple devices (NIC cards, Wirelss cards..etc) but only one IP. If this is the case at your school, you must first register your device and wait a few minutes for it to pick up the IP and then pick up an open MAC address. This takes about 10 minutes. Once that is done, you should be fine. Let me know if this was your case.

Ross

PS - When you got to school for the first time, if you had to register your laptop/desktop, you'll need to do the same procedure for your IPT.

5. cjmal macrumors 6502

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. Go into the wifi settings and hit "Reset all network settings", then try again.

6. ehsteve23 macrumors member

go to see the network administrators, some networks make you confirm your IP address so that even if you do know the password, they have to confirm your access to the network.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Did you check the DHCP settings -- do you have a real IP address and not a 169.*.*.* self-assigned address? (Is DHCP enabled in your school network?)

8. thericwu macrumors newbie

OpenDNS, wikipedia it to get the number and then go to the WiFi settings for that network and type it into the spot where it says: DNS