School Wifi problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pbcrazyboy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. pbcrazyboy macrumors member

I am a student at a middle school and I used my ipod touch to get on the internet. Now I think our school has realized this and now you have to type in the first 6 numbers of the ip address (192.168) and it takes you to a cisco page (i dont know what cisco does) and you click join the network. When it joins it goes right to our district's home page. When I try to go to google or any other website, It doesnt work. Then I might lose my wifi connection or something else might happen. Do you guys know what this is or why it happens. And if you know, can you tell me if you know how to bypass it so I can go on google and other websites

Thanks

2. JDR macrumors regular

I'm guessing that they probably password-protected it.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Sure. They're forcing you to authenticate to the network, and in doing so, are most likely logging your iPod Touch's MAC address as well. If you're not an approved MAC address, then you either have to authenticate (have an account or password) or you're bumped off the network.

We have a similar policy in our system for any unknown devices. We may allow a "courtesy" connection, but if we do so, we carefully limit what the user can do and where they can go.

FWIW, "Cisco" is network infrastructure hardware, such as switches, routers, wireless security switches, etc.

MacDann

4. pbcrazyboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So what you're saying is there is no way to bypass this. Is there like ultrasurf or anything like that for the ipod touch yet that you know of. And what is apache and afpd severs and stuff like that for under the network portion of installer. If i installed any of those programs could I go to google and other websites like that?

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Just be thankful your school has wifi. Some of my friends will take the ethernet cables out of the computers in the library and plug them directly into their computers to make their own wifi hotspot.

My advice is to ask your school's administration for whatever password. Worst that can happen is they say no.