School Windows Network...!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by camild, Apr 28, 2008.

1. camild macrumors newbie

Hey all.

i have a macbook late dec07 model with leopard 10.5.2
    i'm desperately trying to have to avoid installing windows!
    i want to join to my school network which is windows only but im certain theres a way around this even if searching the internet is proving increasing frustrating....!

anywho

my school gives an account name - eg mine is camild and a password (which im not telling)
    it has a domain name 'INSERT SCHOOL NAME' (i know for a fact that when joining the domain name under windows the admin of the network must type a pass)
    you must authenticate yourself when using wireless with a certificate that has your username and password
    It has a proxy server 172.16.1.1 and port 80

um

Can someone please help!
    if i need to find more info tell me and ill do my best to get necessary info

THANKS!

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

I don't have experience with this type of stuff, but try the following:

Go into System Prefs > Network
    Choose Airport and click Advanced in the lower right corner
    Check out the 802.1X and Proxies tabs.

Good luck,
    Rupert

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open Network preferences and make a new location so when at home you can use your automatic network config then when at school just change the location from the Apple menu and your ready to go.

then to set up the proxy click advanced, open the Proxies tab and set it up as per this picture.

Screencapture 1.jpg

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't understand...So if my school is on a domain called "Hillsdale," and I have my login name and password on the school computers, how do I know what IP and stuff to use in order to allow me to access the shared drives on the network? x_x

5. camild thread starter macrumors newbie

its cool about the proxies but getting mac to authenticate itself is the issue

like the school has a security thingo for the wireless but the point is you have a certificate which authenticates who you are and therefore 'log on' to the network. once your logged on proxy settings then come into effect. and also setting up a domain name without a 'wins server' address

its complicated -_-