School won't let me use switch so I can use my PB in class

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iSaint, Nov 2, 2007.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

This is no surprise, really.

I'm a high school English teacher. I love to use presentations in class. I use my Powerbook for all of my class preparation, so (nearly) all of my resources are on it. I bought a refurbed switch to split the connection from the computer they give us. I also bought my own laser printer so we would quit wasting money on inkjet cartridges. And, I bought a low-end projector, since there's only three in the entire school of 85 or so classrooms. I've been using this equipment for 12 weeks.

We get an email yesterday saying no outside equipment should be plugged in to their network.

I put in a request to have them double-check my equipment for any concerns so that I would be able to keep using everything as is. Of course, it was denied. I wrote an email back saying first that Mac OS isn't prone to viruses, and that my PB should cause no issues with their network. I also stated my case for using a computer in the classroom as I do, which is for nearly all aspects of teaching. All of my resources are on my Powerbook.

Anyway, I understand his/her decision. It still sucks that I can't use my talents and resources the way I would like. This is just another notch against teaching in this high-poverty, low-income, low-achieving, high-discipline school. The kids appreciate the fact that I use technology to teach an English course. (Of course, science teachers get funds to buy their own projectors. My request for same was denied, too.)

[/rant]

2. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That's why I hate public school. Too much bureaucratic crap for me.

3. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Personally I would proably just keep using them. It's better that the kids actually learn and that you use all of your abilities then to listen to some jackass school administrators. What are they going to say, you're teaching the kids too well and too much? If you've got tenure I doubt they'd fire you over using your own materials to provide a better education than the school can obviously provide themselves.

You're obviously a teacher that truly cares about their students and the education they get, I congratulate you for that, I haven't encountered too many middle school or high school teachers that would do what you've done to make these students education better(which is sad, because the schools in my area are well funded and in a very low-poverty area, can't say much for the students actually wanting to learn though).

4. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Don't plug anything into their network.

Plug a wireless n USB key into their computer. Make a boot CD with some live version of Linux, configured to route ONLY your PB's MAC address.

Or something trick like that.

Disk and USB key leave with you every day. All is well in control freak world.

5. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I don't completely understand it, but I like it! :D

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've got to say they can't stop you from using your MB. I would just never plug it into the "network" and then you are covered. If you need to use the net, the prepare that all beforehand by saving the pages and working offline.
    All I can say is just don't get onto the network and the technology department can't do anything about it. Everything else is yours that you bought and they are classified as "teacher aides". So, good luck and keep teaching with technology.

7. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, I will. I do most of my preparation at home so I'm covered for the most part. Every once in awhile we'll get into a discussion and I like to show them how to look up information that is valid, as opposed to using ask.com. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I would all but die if I was told I couldn't use my Mac. But I'd say you should be fine so as long as you just don't use their network, but you never know. They may falsely accuse you of accessing the network and ban it from the school premises entirely. And that guy with the public school comment obviously doesn't know what goes on in these private schools, so I'll spare him.