Schoolhouse questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by freedrinks, Aug 18, 2007.

1. freedrinks macrumors newbie

OK so I'm totally loving schoolhouse but the only thing I can't figure out is why you can enter your class times but it doesn't display them any where? Is there a way to see the times in the calendar view? thanks

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

3. daowens macrumors newbie

Schoolhouse crashing

I just installed schoolhouse and it crashes every time that I try to add a subject to a newly created assignment. Anybody know why?

4. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

im having the same problem..anyone?

5. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

This happens to me too. I haven't opened Schoolhouse all summer and now it crashes whenever I open it. I reinstalled it, everything. It initially worked but stopped doing so after I added my new term and tried to add the first assignment.

Update: I AppZapped it just to make sure all the preference files, reinstalled, and I've got no problems (so far).

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i was thinking on doing that but if i appzapp it then i ll lose all my notes and everything i ve got in it already right?

7. bensington macrumors newbie

schoolhouse crash

I've also got similar problems. I tried the tip to appzap and it got schoolhouse to open again, but now I can't revert to my backed-up file. it now crashes when i try to do so. Anyone else with similar issues?

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

has schoolhouse been fixed for anyone yet? im still having the same prob, i can't 0pen it, it crashes right away

9. BrutalSpoon macrumors newbie

BrutalSpoon

plist file

For me, schoolhouse is great, and on the whole I haven't had any problems, however my mac did. My macbook had the whole hard drive failure problem, and so I had to dump all my files onto a replacement hard drive after booting from a partition. Problem is that I can't get my notes back into schoolhouse... is there a way to import the plist file back in? If I open the plist file with BBEdit, I can see all the notes in there, so I would have thought it would be possible to bring it in. Or is that just wishful thinking?

10. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

It is very aggravating when it crashes, you lose all work you have done since you opened. I hope there is a fix soon.

11. beiju macrumors newbie

I agree, the crashes are annoying. I've found out that the crashing on launch happens because for sone reason it crashes every time you create a new term, and on the opening screen the create new term checkbox is checked by default. You can use most of it without the term, although many other things cause a crash.

12. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I hope i'm welcomed to the Schoolhouse crash fun club...!!

I have the exact same issues as you guys... Really annoying...

13. No1Roots4Goliat macrumors newbie

I had this problem for a long time mid-semester. I assume we're all using Intel-based Macs and/or Leopard 10.5. It seems Schoolhouse 2 isn't entirely stable, so open the info on it (Select> "File" Menu> "Get Info"> Check "Open using Rosetta"). This will make it open a little slower than it should, but Schoolhouse 2.1 will be stable.

Schoolhouse 3 apparently will fix this, but don't expect it until the end of the year.

14. DangerMouse6 macrumors newbie

Is it just me or can you NOT delete or edit a course once it has been created? (or view what you entered for that matter)

EDIT: Disregard. Didn't realize that you could expand the term. Doing so shows the courses and you can right click and edit

15. beiju macrumors newbie

Thank you so much No1Roots4Goliat-this is a lifesaver! I haven't done much (any) testing, but this has at least fixed the but where a drop-down sheet (for adding a new term or an attachment) would cause a hang-up.

I would like to add that No1Roots4Goliat is referring to selecting the application in the Finder, and using the Get Info window to turn this option on.

16. No1Roots4Goliat macrumors newbie

Little update for all the froshies worrying over this app:

I'm running 10.5.4 and doing ym "Rosetta" thing and still having problems with it. Schoolhouse doesn't want to cooperate at all with Leopard's 4th version.

Ah well, I'm might just find a different program until then that just checks things off because God knows I have a ton of work to be done.

17. beiju macrumors newbie

I've seen some hangups after doing Rosetta, but no crashes. You may want to try it on a different user to make sure it's not arguing with another one of your applications-such as APE.

If you still have problems, I can recommend a few apps. iProcrastinate is like Schoolhouse, but a little less polished. It does have an iPhone app, and syncing is coming. If you want menubar apps Anxiety and Check Off are both worth a look. You can see which interface you like better. These are all free.

18. No1Roots4Goliat macrumors newbie

So here we are sitting at 10.5.6 and it's been nearly a year since Mr. Collins has responded to the concerns or any e-mails on Schoolhouse.

My guess is he's left it to fend for itself in a post-Tiger world.

It would be great to see another program, such as iProcrastinate, come along with the auto-saving, GPA inclusion, and ease of use that Schoolhouse's last stable incarnation produced. Unfortunately, it seems we are back to the chalkboard for this one...

19. unitethenations macrumors member

@ Those who've managed to contact him

Would you mind asking him to open-source it?

I wouldn't mind it if a couple of other developers picked up where he left off, since it looks as though he's not maintaining it any longer.

20. a unix guy macrumors newbie

I emailed him about a week ago asking for some information on whether he would be continuing the project or not, and I did mention open-sourcing. However, he hasn't responded yet.

I'm thinking that the project is dead.

21. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah schoolhouse was great, but now it just crashes whenever i try to open it..I really like iProcrastinate, but the app dev for that seems like a very busy guy being a student and all, so teh great things taht could be done with those apps, desktop and iphone I think are going to be really slow to come...by the way not that I am complaining, dude is doing it for free and they really are great apps.. but if schoolhouse could be open-source and a couple of guys took over it and worked it up a bit it would be an amazing app. I would be willing to help. problem is i don't know much about coding or anything about app.dev per say, therefore i am no help at all...