school's new firewall or something?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhosfelt, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

someone tell me what the **** is up here... I can't access anything over a wired connection with leopard... Im on my laptop right now so I am using wireless which is really weak in my dorms...

This sucks..

Attached Files:

2. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

i dont know how to help. I would try to talk to a network guy at your school. I do feel for you though, its frustrating when there is only instruction to fix it in windows... We dont use crappy OS's!!!

3. rmh macrumors regular

I'm also unsure on how to fix it, but I am also having problems with my school's 8021x wireless. I can't connect to it at all with Leopard, so I had to partition my MacBook's HD and reinstall Tiger. I'm hoping the 10.5.1 update will fix alot of this stuff.

4. Rhosfelt thread starter macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I had the same problem, but all i had to do was turn off automatically joining my school network, remember my username and password, and every time i need to join the 802.1x select it in the airport on the menu bar and hit continues when it asks about the certificate...

*sigh* I guess I will have to talk to the tech dept. after thanksgiving break...

LIGHTBULB: this might get me into working for the tech department though I could be the Mac guy!! I have 2/5 of the population here anyways! (I have only seen three other macs on campus :()

5. rmh macrumors regular

I wish it were that easy. My issue is more of an "incompatible security" problem. So I'm still stuck =/

6. iMouse macrumors regular

Interesting...

It looks as if a Nessus scan done by your campus network setup is mistakenly picking up Leopard as being vulnerable to a Windows flaw on port 445.

You could probably get Nessus to pass your box on as a protected system if you enable Leopard's firewall and set traffic on 445/tcp to be blocked.

Using Nessus to scan and manage users on a LAN is a poor way to set up a protected network access location. There are many other alternatives that work much better such as Cisco Clean Access that can properly determine the OS based on the installation of a software agent or the less-secure, but quicker way of looking at browser user-agent info.

I am part of a support team that manages a educational-level WPA/WPA2 Enterprise network with TKIP encryption that Leopard refuses to connect to. This is due to bugs in Leopard's 802.1x implementation as well as how it handles network authentication through LEAP. Hopefully, this will be addressed in 10.5.1.

I wouldn't go bothering your school's sysadmins about this. You're only going to look like the clueless idiot running broken computer software whose looking for problems in their network implementation and not his/her own equipment. :D

BTW, there is also a bug in Apple's AirPort software where Lucent-based AirPort cards will not connect to a WPA Enterprise network that has both WPA and WPA2 enabled. This is because the AirPort software sees the network being capable of WPA2 and assumes the card can perform WPA2 Enterprise when it physically cannot. Thus, all Macs with original AirPort cards will continue to have difficulty connecting to these types of networks unless Apple addresses the issue.

7. Animalk macrumors 6502

I am also having issues with my school network. In Tiger i set it up once and never had to touch it again. I installed leopard and it remembered all my settings except my school network.

My school's network is 802.1x WEP type using TTLS/PAP. Every time i try to set up a profile for this and i connect, it erases everything i wrote and switches to some unknown WAP settings.

So now, the only way to connect, is every time I open my comp from sleep or complete shutdown, I have to select "join other...", write the name of the network manually, select TTLS/PAP at the bottom before writing any username or password because any change to that listbox will erase those fields. And then finally my username and password and connect.

How could they go from something that worked so well and beautifully to something so horrible. This is my only negative of Leopard.

8. Rhosfelt thread starter macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I was afraid of this when i got the iPt... Apple is overlooking the less common securities, and trying to improve other functions.

I just hope they fix these in 10.5.1 and maybe even try and boost my MBP's airpot huh please? haha That isn't the real issuse here, but this kind of does suck that the program is detecting a windows security fault in leopard... I do not even have a firewall on.. (since my home network is through three firewalls already, plus I live in the country, and i am running macs, there is no need to have firewalls up at all) This just seems kind of crappy though, is there anything I can should tell tech though or am I going to have to wait until 10.5.1?

Well I am on wireless right now on the iMac, and it is so much slower :( apperently they (can't I hope) haven't implimented the security over wireless yet.. and if they do i will flip out, I don't have a windows computer and I live on the internet, plus I don't want to have a partition right now :(

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

This is really not an Apple problem. You should call your schools Help Desk or something, because their software is malfunctioning.
    In my school all computers have to pass a compliancy test, for Windows machines that means running a virus scan, installing the latest patches, and all sorts of jumping trough hoops. For the rest of us on OSX, Linux or any flavor of UNIX, its just a quick act of plugging in the ethernet cord.

10. Rhosfelt thread starter macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

i know its not apple's problem, but it is kind of stupid that now I can't have a wired connection. (thus preventing me from sharing my airport :p)