Schubert-it and firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smaidment, Mar 29, 2008.

1. smaidment macrumors newbie

Having become frustrated by pdfs downloading to my desktop, I've downloaded Schubert-it. I've copied this into /library/internet plug-ins but this doesn't seem to persuade firefox to open pdfs within the web-browser... (I've got Schubert-it working with Safari but I hardly ever use Safari).

Any ideas? Starting to get even more frustrated! :rolleyes:

2. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

You're running a PowerPC Mac, right?
    If not that explains it... ;)

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Schubert is PPC only. If you're running an Intel Mac, you can still use Schubert in your browser of choice. All you have to do is right-click the icon of the browser you want to run (in Finder, not in dock) and select "get info". From there, you can select to run the application in Rosetta. You'll take a performance hit, but you can run the PDF plugin that way.

4. smaidment thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That solves that one. I'm intrigued by "Rosetta". Are there any other applications/plug-ins/programmes, which I thought I couldn't use on my mac, but which I can run with Rosetta?

And why does Schubert-it work with Safari and not with Firefox (if it's not supposed to work at all without Power-PC)?

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Rosetta works invisibly and lets just about any PPC application work on the Intel machines (it doesn't allow G5-PPC-only apps to work, though). So, basically, you can run just about any Mac app made for OS X on your Intel Mac without any thought put into it. The enable-Rosetta trick I suggested is a workaround for stubborn problems, like the PDF viewer. Otherwise, Rosetta works automatically without any input from you. Install any app and forget it. It just works.

I'm not sure about the Safari-Firefox question. It might have something to do with the underpinnings of Rosetta that only Apple knows about and not third-party developers.

EDIT: are you sure the PDF viewer in Safari that renders PDFs for you is in fact the Schubert one and not the built-in one that Safari uses?