scientific papers (pdf) on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MrFusion, May 17, 2011.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

I have hundreds of pdf's in nearly a hundred folders, all managed with BibDesk.
    Is there a pdf reader and annotation app for iPad that can directly access these folders (bypassing iTunes) and maintain the same folder structure?

I found a few apps (iAnnotate, PDF expert, PDF Reader Pro, ReaddleDocs), but these cost all 5 to 10 dollar. It's a bit expensive to just try them all out.
    PDF expert seems to be a decent app, but I can't determine from the few available screenshots how it deals with the folder structure.

Any suggestions?

2. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

What do you mean by folders structure? You can create folders and folders in folders. Move your files around. You don't have to do it via iTunes only, instead, use wi-fi (direct drag and drop), ReaddleStorage, DropBox, etc.

I do read and annotate my scientific papers for my dissertation.
    Feel free to ask more questions.

3. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an existing folder structure to organize my papers. Will these iPad apps keep this structure, or do I have to throw everything in one big pile?
    Can I just drag and drop my library folder, or do I have to copy everything into iTunes.

4. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

Yes, you can mount iPad as a network drive and copy your files over the air with a single drag and drop.

5. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another question: I have highlighted and annotated pdf's in preview. Will PDF Expert recognize these changes? And vice versa: does Preview recognize PDF expert changes? I had some problems with this in the past when exchanging pdf's with Win-users.

6. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

Yep, all changes are saved within PDF, so preview will see it and vice versa. No worries here as well.