Scooter

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imaketouchtheme, Aug 17, 2011.

1. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I'm just looking for some general knowledge regarding scooters and the like. I'm posting this from my iPhone, so I won't get too into detail. Basically, I'm looking to get a scooter for daily commuting. I would like one that can get up to around 50-60 MPH fairly comfortably but only plan on driving it about 35-45. Also, great fuel economy is a must as well. I've been researching, and it seems like 250CC is a good displacement for everyday driving, but I know nothing. Also, any particular models you'd recommend?

I guess my biggest question is in regards to registration/insurance. Do they require a different type of license? Also, how do insurance rates fair against regular cars? It'll be registered in Ohio with primary driving being in West Virginia.

Thanks!

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'd check what the local law is regarding scooters and licenses. Down here in Texas no license is required to operate a scooter. But anything over 250cc and/or faster than 35mph (top speed) is no longer classified as a scooter; it's a motorbike then and requires an M-class license. I don't know the law up north.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Why not try a moped out?

I'm sure you could get 50mph out of one of those?

4. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

Anything over 50cc and/or 35mph is considered a scooter (under is a moped). I'm looking for something that will go near highway speeds.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Attached Files: