Scorching hot rMBP watching simple video.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vpro, Sep 13, 2012.

1. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

wow
    i just got my rMBP on Monday
    using it lightly and updating software
    surfing the apple site
    then last night watching a small documentary on VIMEO
    1 and a half minute into the video I hear a loud hissing
    then progressing in to a really loud wooooshing sound
    my husband from across the room could hear and we both
    realized it was the fans
    upon closing the video the fans took about 20 seconds or more to slow down
    then i gently ran my fingers around all the vents and then
    around the top of the keyboard where it meets the bezel of the screen
    was SCORCHING hot to the finger tips
    I was in denial so I put more of my pads on it
    YOUCH!

I totally panicked and jump away from the computer putting a pillow over
    my head!

The fan stops and the computer is back to gently warm temp
    I turn it off
    Pick it up to look at her
    The light above me reflected on the screen and I noticed a sparkle
    from the lower left of the screen bezel it was reflecting the light well
    so I went for my cleaning cloth to dust it away it was still there
    so I wiped on it gently and still there
    tilting it to get the reflection again I realized it was not on the surface of
    the glass it was behind it
    Looks like it is a tiny chip or crack inside I can't tell all I know is it refracts the light from above as a diamond facet would you know?

So they are asking me to take it to a genius, should I do that or should I just ask for a return for a refund?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, it's normal for any Mac to get hot while watching videos or other tasks that put high demands on the CPU/GPU. Second, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more, rather than depending on your inaccurate sense of touch.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

As for the spot on the screen, I'd take it to the Apple Genius Bar and let them look at it. If it's defective, they'll repair or replace it.

3. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Thanks I read all that in your previous posts about it on here.

Definitely know I was not over working or over anything on the computer yesterday watching a small video. I have been using it gently since Monday to a total of 7 hours from then till now. I watched a few youtube vids and previewed a few movies online, then the vimeo video and the fans were roaring and the mentioned area of the computer was scorching hot to the touch, I know hot and my 2007 17" can get real warm but last night on the rMBP it was scorching. Yes I know it is thinner and I know IVY Bridge runs hotter. But I wasn't playing a heavy game while rendering a 20 min video clip on final cut and editing a 1800X4500 poster image in Photoshop either. i was watching a 4 min documentary.

Thanks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Vimeo uses Flash, which is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. See the Flash-related suggestions at the bottom of my other post. And use iStat Pro to get accurate temp readings.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Take it into Apple and request a new machine. A 4 day old machine should not present these problems and fixing it is absurd. If they refuse then ask for a full refund and take your business elsewhere.

6. Cassadian macrumors regular

For some reason. My computer has had the temperatures go from 60 to 70 degrees Celsius watching youtube videos EVEN if I force the integrated GPU only.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal.

8. Cassadian macrumors regular

I wish I could say so. But other days it's maxing at 51 degrees Celsius. I honestly have no idea why. I've done nothing more intensive than Youtube videos.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

YouTube videos alone are sufficient to drive temps up to those levels. Read the Flash information at the bottom of my first post.

10. Cassadian macrumors regular

I read your post. But it's weird because what I'm saying when watching 40-50 minute Youtube videos some days it can reach up to 70 degrees Celsius but today as an example I was doing the same thing and it didn't reach about 50 degrees Celsius and that's a significant difference in temperature. I honestly have no idea why. I have used Activity Monitor and iStat Pro to monitor what I've been doing so...

11. ColoArtist macrumors regular

On my '09 MBP Flash would send the CPU processes skyrocketing often enough I installed ClickToFlash just to make Safari usable. Often it wasn't a YouTube video, rather it was some flash animated ad on a page which would set it off.

Not all Flash bits are created equally. Some are more troublesome than others.

My rMBP seems to be much less susceptible to flash problems, but today the big-a**ed Ralph Lauren ad on the NY Times front page sent Flash Player to 105% usage. I closed the page and reopened it and things were fine once more.

I've never had a video heat up the rMBP enough that the case was too hot to the touch.

x2 on making sure you have the latest version of Flash Player installed.

:apple:

12. chrslbrt macrumors newbie

I think it just depends on the resolution of the video and how the video was encoded/format.

For instance, I can watch youtube videos in 1080p with no problems, but when I watch a low quality stream from another website or a rip of a show I've downloaded, it takes off.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Videos are not all encoded the same. Even Youtube videos aren't all encoded identically.