Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Yup, that's right. Scored TWO MDDs for FREE. One (Which happens to be my main Mac now) is a 1.0 Dual, and the other is a MDD 2003 1.25 that has a dead power supply. Guy I know asked me if I wanted them, if not, they were going to the recycling pile at the offlease place he works at. So I hightailed it over to his house and scooped them up.

1.25 on the left, 1.0 Dual on the right

4fdff74a.jpg

Naavanka

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Congrats!

I´ve been trying to score an PM G4 for free couple of times but someone is always ahead of me:)

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Yup, that's right. Scored TWO MDDs for FREE. One (Which happens to be my main Mac now) is a 1.0 Dual, and the other is a MDD 2003 1.25 that has a dead power supply. Guy I know asked me if I wanted them, if not, they were going to the recycling pile at the offlease place he works at. So I hightailed it over to his house and scooped them up.

1.25 on the left, 1.0 Dual on the right

Good catch :D - I love my Dual 867 MDD (Its my trusty iTunes server, and it also runs OS 9 to serve data to all my Classic Macs - a number I wont say just as its ever growing) - If you max it out, itll serve you as a desktop for at least the next 4 years, as long as you dont intend on using anything up to date ;) (Seriously, FCP 7 and Mathematica 8 are the only reasons Im not currently using a MDD G4 as my desktop - I needed something speedy and Intel)

trickyred

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Good catch :D - I love my Dual 867 MDD (Its my trusty iTunes server, and it also runs OS 9 to serve data to all my Classic Macs - a number I wont say just as its ever growing) - If you max it out, itll serve you as a desktop for at least the next 4 years, as long as you dont intend on using anything up to date ;) (Seriously, FCP 7 and Mathematica 8 are the only reasons Im not currently using a MDD G4 as my desktop - I needed something speedy and Intel)

Why don't I have friends like you??

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
The funny part about reading this is that I have a buddy who was looking to buy one, but a local computer shop is selling a 'dual 1.25, with a 23" cinema display' for $375. :eek:

2 for free sure beats that price! Awesome score there. I wish I had that luck.

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
I had one

I had one that i upgraded with a 1.4ghz cpu and a new video card with 128mb of ram. The radeon 9800 i think it was. With the ram maxed out it was a great machine. My second favorite desktop mac ive ever had, after my sawtooth of course.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Because the G4s are really hitting obsolesence right now, it's a good time to look for discarded examples to pick up. The G5 towers are also starting to show up for recycling more often too, due to the Intel switch.

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
Because the G4s are really hitting obsolesence right now, it's a good time to look for discarded examples to pick up. The G5 towers are also starting to show up for recycling more often too, due to the Intel switch.

Its sad in one way but good for those of us who appreciate pushing ppc as far as it can go.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Its sad in one way but good for those of us who appreciate pushing ppc as far as it can go.

I had my fun back in 2006, buying a used Dual 533 'Digital Audio' and upgrading pretty much everything in it. Still use it these days as well, but it's getting a bit creaky in the joints. The lack of HD video capability and the lack of software (OS) updates are beginning to take their toll.

The G4 was arguably the most customizable/upgreadable dekstop Apple ever produced. A person who bought a new G4 tower in 2001 could have gotten 10 years out of it pretty easily.

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
3 days with it so far, and I love the thing. It does everything that I need it to do on a daily basis, and couldn't be more happier for the price of free. It's certainly a heck of a lot quicker than my 1.42 eMac I was previously using. The eMac is now setup in the living room.

I'm running 10.4 on it right now, but intend on upgrading to 10.5... if I can find a disc at the right price.....

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
Good catch! i would love to have even 1 MDD and you got 2 for free! :)
I actually get quite a lot of free comps which stands at:
Imac g3 350mhz
powermac b/w g3 350mhz
powermac 8600 604e 200mhz
powermac g5 dp 2.5ghz
(and a load of pc's mostly got parted out), and i will be getting a imac g4 soon :)

DSPalpatine

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Obligatory: "Dude! Ur such a l0ser! Get a MINI!!!! Intel rulezzzz!"
(Ducks)

Congrats! Great find... and a great friend for thinking of you before tossing the machines into the recycle bin.

The MDD is still, I think, the most aesthetically pleasing case Apple ever designed. I know the G4 Cube is in the MOMA, but for my money, the MDD is the better looking case.

One question for you- why not replace the PSU and make the 1.25 your primary machine? Or fix it and recommission it as a file server or a computer for when guests visit? Hate to see serviceable hardware to go waste.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
One question for you- why not replace the PSU and make the 1.25 your primary machine? Or fix it and recommission it as a file server or a computer for when guests visit? Hate to see serviceable hardware to go waste.

IIRC the 2003 machines were single CPU, or at least, the majority were (I havent seen a Dual 1.25 from '03, although I think they do exist - I have seen lots of the Single 1.25 tho as it was the cheapest Tower Mac in a while and I believe possibly since the Beige days at $1299), so his Dual 1.0 is probably faster than the 1.25 machine (My Dual 867 is faster than a Single 1.0)

The funny part about reading this is that I have a buddy who was looking to buy one, but a local computer shop is selling a 'dual 1.25, with a 23" cinema display' for $375. :eek:
the 'buy it now' prices are even sillier. :)
2 for free sure beats that price! Awesome score there. I wish I had that luck.
yeah, nice.... just one slower one, needing replacement psu would be good.

!? sounds more like they'd been run over by a bus, or soaked in anthrax, caught in a lava flow, or suffered some other disaster. why would anyone "trash" something that new?
I like rational handling of ewaste, but i don't like usable stuff getting 'wasted' prematurely.
Around here (a large metro), people offer (b&w) g3s and p3s free, and if running, those are grabbed pretty fast.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
!? sounds more like they'd been run over by a bus, or soaked in anthrax, caught in a lava flow, or suffered some other disaster. why would anyone "trash" something that new?
I like rational handling of ewaste, but i don't like usable stuff getting 'wasted' prematurely.
Around here (a large metro), people offer (b&w) g3s and p3s free, and if running, those are grabbed pretty fast.

Simple, the 3 - 5 year replacement plans most businesses and lease companies use cause older G5s to be easily up for replacement. Especially in video/TV companies (A Local TV Station chucked some G5s out a few years back, I didnt get there in time to snag one, but they got rid of 20 that were saved from landfill)

Simple, the 3 - 5 year replacement plans most businesses and lease companies use cause older G5s to be easily up for replacement. Especially in video/TV companies (A Local TV Station chucked some G5s out a few years back, I didnt get there in time to snag one, but they got rid of 20 that were saved from landfill)

there are nonprofit reuse groups that would like those. they'd wipe the drives, etc.

funny, with ppl whining about government waste....

"got rid of 20 that were saved from landfill"
you're saying snaggers 'saved' them from landfill, but the snaggers were ewasters?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
there are nonprofit reuse groups that would like those. they'd wipe the drives, etc.

funny, with ppl whining about government waste....

"got rid of 20 that were saved from landfill"
you're saying snaggers 'saved' them from landfill, but the snaggers were ewasters?

Im saying that they did the decent thing and told my Mac User group what they were doing, and we all went to try and get one, because in 2007 a Dual 2.3 G5 was a respectable machine, and wouldve been a nice upgrade from the MDDs most of use were using (or in my case still are using as a server) - hence why lots of these machines are being given away, and snapped up quickly, and used for personal use, in fact I know 3 of them are still in use, and I suspect the rest are as well.

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, the 1.25 is a single, not a dual. If it was a dual, the processor would already be in my working one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.