Scored a good deal, can't wait!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blackbear219, Feb 22, 2016.

1. blackbear219 macrumors regular

Hi folks,

Well, I am joining the 12" MacBook ranks. I scored the top model (1.3gmz, 512GB, etc) on eBay with AppleCare and a $200 leather case for $1450. The Mac is about 6 months old and in perfect shape and the extras put it at around $2200-2300 MSRP so I am pretty happy with the deal.

Really looking forward to it! Any recommendations for accessories?

2. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Depends on your needs. If you don't need to hook it up to a monitor, projector, SD card reader, Optical or Hard drive/uSB stick then won't need anything else. If you do however, then a USB C Adaptor.

3. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Congrats! These are the accessories you need:

Apple USB-C HDMI Multiport Adapter $59
    USB-To-Ethernet Adapter $10
    Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse 3600 $25

BJ

4. IowaLynn, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

My own shopping List after buying mine - which I love, replaced my 2006 1,1 Mac Pro. Using 24" monitor normally as my new small "desktop" after shedding over 50 lbs does what I did before. Wish I had 512GB for now until I have the OWC dock to provide a couple ports for drives (data, TimeMachine, two clones)

The Apple AV Multiport gets warm, and once dock arrives won't need but knew I didn't want to wait to use a monitor.

OWC USB-C 8-port Dock - pre-order $159 due mid-March
    https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-USB-C-Dock/

All Amazon:

Logitech MX Anywhere 2
    WD 1TB Berry My Passport Ultra Portable
    WD Black 750GB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive
    Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case
    Inateck USB 3.0 Hard Drives Docking Station
    - Use my old 3.5" drives

Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drives Docking Station

SAMSUNG TSST Ultra-Slim Optical Drives

Apple Magic Mouse 2
    Apple MC184LL/B Wireless Keyboard
    Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Apple Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter
    Apple USB-C Charge Cable
    - spare set for travel and downstairs

Kanex USB C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - WiFi is so good have not needed
    Bluetooth Stereo Speaker

Copy of Carbon Copy Cloner

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Seeing lots of cheaper new macbooks lately. I'm guessing people are selling them before the upcoming updates?

6. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Apple claring stock, not pre-owned or used, brand new coming from Apple Store Specials or B&H ec though bay yes would be personal sales.

7. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

No updates are coming. If prices are falling it's due to a rough retail environment post-Christmas, nothing to do with the product itself.

BJ

8. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input on accessories guys! I received it yesterday and love it. It's way more powerful than I originally expected it to be and was also pleasantly surprised to find it handles some light gaming very well.

Awesome machine!

9. osnola ibax macrumors member

osnola ibax

There us definitely a Skylake upgrade imminent. Doesn't bother me though, the Broadwell copes extremely well for my purposes.

10. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

No, there is zero assurance that Apple will put Skylake into the RMB. It's the one MacBook for which power isn't an important factor. If Apple was to stop the production line and swap out all the inventory at retail it would be for a breakthru portability feature, like another half pound weight reduction, another few millimeters in thinness, an HD webcam, or a Lightning port for the rumored iTunes HD audio profile.

Skylake might mean something significant to the Pro and the Air; it's practically useless on the RMB whose owners view processing horsepower as the least important thing in the purchase decision. The only people getting hot and heavy for Skylake are frustrated Air users who want to be in the best-in-class portable again and want a retina screen. Not happening.

BJ

11. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I don't know why you are ignoring the reportedly significant increase in battery life that Skylake will bring, which presumably rMB owners would care about quite a lot.

12. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

A current rMB whose battery lasts all day and works well or doesn't spend a lot of time untethered from a/c power. Use to be you needed newest cpu every two years or something, from 6800- to 68030 or 5150 to 54xx but lately...

13. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

"All day battery life" means it lasts all day, so unless Apple makes a quantum leap to "two days battery life" the only bump Skylake will bring will be "middle of the night battery life" which no one needs because a) we're asleep and b) that's when we recharge our devices.

BJ

14. keviig macrumors 6502

So due to the rMB not being all about power, Apple should stop improving it? They wouldn't get far with that attitude.
    If anything, the rMB will see the biggest benefits from going to Skylake, as Intel has made the most progress with their low power chips. We're looking at +20% CPU gains, +35-40% GPU gains, along with support for TB3 (usb c style port). All this would make a great 2nd gen retina macbook.

15. citivolus macrumors 6502a

No. "All day battery life" is a marketing term, not a quantitative measure. Everyone's use case is different, so extending battery life via technical upgrades like Skylake will just further benefit everyone in this regard.

16. keviig macrumors 6502

True. You can easily drain a rMB in 4-5 hours if you do heavy work.