Scored a room full of PowerMac G4's for free!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Gamer9430, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I have just gotten a room of G4s, for free. They are Mostly the blue ones, but there is one MDD... They are all functioning, as far as I know, they also all have original keyboards and the non-revision A CRT monitors. I was talking to one of the teachers at my school because he has a eMac sitting on a shelf, so I asked him if I could look for the wireless card in it and take it if there is one. I also mentioned that if he was looking to get rid of any of the g4s, to tell me and I would take them. So he said that they were going to upgrade them this year and if no one wanted one, they would have recycled them. So he asked if I wanted them, so of course I said yes. He said he needed to ask the person in charge of those computers over the weekend and would get back to me on Monday, but according to my tech coordinator, the guy could care less, since he is retired. So he said he would talk to the teacher and tell him that... So I have scored a room of probably 10 G4s and monitors.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Don't mean to rain on your parade because that's an awesome score, but you have 9 PowerMac G3s and 1 PowerMac G4 MDD

The very first model G4 (which I happen to have sitting next to me at work) is dark gray.

If it's Blue and White, then it's a G3. G3 should also show prominently through the side. No G4s were ever Blue and White.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

B&W G3s are still a ton of fun, and with 9 of them you have plenty to experiment with.

Hopefully you have at least some Rev. B logic boards, which can take two HDDs on the main ATA bus.

4. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

5. Gamer9430, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I would have taken pictures, but I didn't get a chance. Anyway, they are G4s because the original Yikes! model was Blue and white/graphite (see attached picture) and besides, on the G3, you can see the words G3 through the case.

Attached Files:

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm still looking for the "blue" part of the B&W case. They've always looked green to me :)

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Dude. The sides of the picture you provided are GRAY.

Maybe the very, very first G4 had a blue (deep blue then) front panel, maybe. But the sides were gray.

Where do you see blue and where do you see white?

If they truly are early G4s then there is no white and there is no blue.

G3. White and Blue!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your pic looks nothing like this.

9. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

OP never said blue and white. Said they were blue, like the photo of the old G4 that he posted, because they are G4s not G3s

10. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

What part of the word "white" in the OP's post didn't you understand?

11. weckart macrumors 68040

I think we can agree that OP has got some computers.

12. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Holy cow... that is amazing! By the way, people seem to like the Quicksilver the best, in terms of looks, but I think the original Blue & White PowerMac G3 is the coolest-looking post-1998 PowerMac. I like the frosted plastic it has, and how it has 'G3' on the metal casing, from within the plastic casing. The light blue color also looks very stunning... with the frosted white and light blue, it almost feels like you could lick the PowerMac and taste a fresh blast of spearmint! xD I know that sounds weird, but it's definitely an awesome design.

Steve Jobs actually once noted that Mac OSX's 'Aqua' interface made you want to lick the screen.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Quicksilver fan here (I own one!!!!!!). Yes, the most beautiful of the lot!

I really thought the G3s were cool. When I worked as an Ad Compositor for the Desert Sun one of the new hires got a brand spanking new G3 as his workstation. Then they started replacing the old Macs with those making some of the old timers there very happy.

Always though it was cool and was very disappointed to see the gray "blah" of the G4s. It didn't start looking good until the Quicksilvers.

STILL DON'T SEE where there's BLUE in the G4s! Sorry, just don't see it. All I see is gray - everywhere!

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

And, there again, I still don't see the blue in G3s :)

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, ok, maybe it's more of a turquoise.

But there's a reason why they are commonly referred to as B&W G3s and Graphite G4s.

16. weckart macrumors 68040

In the flesh, sure. In photos, if you put the G4 at an angle the front catches the light and looks like a dark navy, such as in the stock photo posted further up.

17. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Same here, I always had a weakness for the original blue and white G3, after that the quicksilver is my favorite G4 case.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I guess that is my problem then. By the time I converted to Mac Apple was in the G5 and AlBook phase. I never paid any attention to any ads for G4s and any G4s I worked on were "in the flesh".

Still though, I've only ever seen a "blue" and "white" reference applied to G3s - officially that is.

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

FWIW, here's a B&W next to a graphite-cased G4(Sawtooth).

I'll also mention that I have a Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, and two Digital Audios parked next to each other in a line, and don't see any color difference between any of them. The only thing that sticks out is the Zip drive blank on my GigE, which somewhere along the way was replaced with one off of a B&W. I still really would like to find the correct graphite plate to put there, whether a blank or a zip bezel.

Attached Files:

20. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

While the G5 Power Macs are gorgeous, I think the G4's are the most practical design Apple has ever made. They're simple to open, fiddle with, upgrade, fix, etc. That's impossible to say about anything they make anymore. I'm surprised a third party case designer never did a case that opens like that. Taking the door off a case isn't hard but it's never going to be as convenient as just pulling the side open. If Apple introduced a case like that today there would be tons of companies copying them, but these were still back in the day Apple wasn't "cool" with mainstream users. Heck, you can buy a 2014 Power Mac style imitation case already.

21. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

A quick google search turns up many hits for fake 2014 Mac Pro cases, but none for fake Power Mac 2014 style cases.

22. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, the Quicksilver is one of the two best case. The MDD looks nice in the way that the drive doors are nice and reflective, but it almost looks like needless bling, in a 'Cadillac' sort of way. It doesn't look the greatest either. I wish my G3 B&W was in better condition, but I still got it for a good price; I got it from a local thrift store, and originally (since it had an Apple logo on it) it was priced at a stupid $100 (that's Cali for ya'). I talked it down to $5, through another person who was there at the store to pick it up for me. Sadly, the stupid employee yanked it from the shelf and cracked two of the feet (bottom rear and top frontal). It is also a 300Mhz model, but I'm happy I have one.

23. Mnowell69, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

I'm talking about the OP's OP...

He never said they were blue and white in the OP. :p

He only said the original models were blue and white, referring to the G3, in a seperate post.

24. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

9 power mac G3's !! U lucky thing ! I want one. have fun !