Scored an iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Oct 31, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

A lady I worked with has an iPhone 3GS A1303B. I came to Apple on the 4S. I mentioned I'd purchased it if she were interested in selling. She ordered her iPhone 6 today and will be receiving it next week.

She's selling me the iPhone 3GS for $25.00 (maybe, pending for a little more $ because it's a 3GS not a 3G). It's on ATT network and she's going to call in to get it unlocked (so I can use it on T-Mobile). I need this phone until I'm ready to purchase an iPhone 6. I don't need data on it. I'm on Sprint and I want out before my next payment cycle mid-Nov.

Questions?

1. She said I may need a charger for it, can this charger still be purchased? I came into iPhone with the 4S. Will the charger work for the 3?

2. Does Apple still have batteries for this if I decide to keep it longer?

3. Once she resets the phone as factory new, is there anything else she needs to do. I hear horror stories of requiring seller's Apple ID for reset.

4. Do you think this was a good purchase? The phone looked like it was in decent condition. Rhetorically, what can you expect for an iPhone 3 for $25.

Thanks for your replies.

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The charger from your iPhone 4S will work.

You can replace the battery on the 3GS with a little technical know-how. Apple does offer out of warranty replacement if you'd rather they do it.

iOS 6 didn't have activation lock like later versions of iOS. You'll be fine as long as it isn't blacklisted on AT&Ts network.

For $25 it sounds good. Most dumbphones are near that price, but the 3GS will be a lot more functional. Most apps will still work fine on it as long as it has iOS 6.

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I've got three 3'gs's. Didn't know if they were worth anything to anyone anymore.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Double check band compatibility in your area.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

The going rate for them is around $50 these days. People will still buy them if you list them somewhere to sell.

6. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks for this. I didn't know the usual going price for a 3GS. I was going to offer $100, but now I'm glad she offered $25 since you stated it's worth about $50.

----------

Perfect. I have two 4S chargers, original and a 3rd party brand. Do you know what an out of warranty battery costs? I checked the Apple site and no mention since it's an outdated phone.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Check out the condition it is in. That phone could be 5 years old and taken quite a beating. $100 is for a phone in good condition, not for a beat up one.

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Apple charges $79.00 plus shipping plus $6.95 shipping to replace an iPhone battery.

9. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks…My co-worker still uses her 3GS, so it looks like the battery is decent from what I can tell. I think it should last me a few months before I decide on the 6. As mentioned, it's only $25, so it won't be a total loss for me. I only need it to get me through to T-Mobile for Voice only, as I have a Sprint 4S that obviously won't work on any there carrier. It sucks that Sprint doesn't have a pre-paid plan where I can use my existing 4S to get Voice/Text only. I would have to purchase one of their phones, which I won't do.