Scorpio Black 750GB: How noisy is it? Vibrations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Philflow, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Philflow macrumors 65816

Anyone have the WD 750GB WD7500BPKT in their Macbook Pro?

I like drives to be very silent and to have no vibrations. How does the WD do in your MBP?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

For a Main HDD I would go with SSD or the Seagate Hybrid XT. I dont know how loud/noisy this drive is. I have a Seagate 7200RPM drive and I dont notice it vibrate or anything. I think it will be fine.

3. diveganesh macrumors newbie

i have the WD7500BPKT-75PK4T0 in the optical bay in my early 2011 17" MBP as a secondary drive that holds most of my data and i don't notice any vibrations. i do not move around with the MBP a whole lot though.

4. fsteddie macrumors newbie

When it spins up you will notice it. I have an OCW SSD in my drive bay and the Scorpio 750 in my optical bay. I use the WD for storage so it doesnt spin up that frequently but when it does you will hear it but will not feel any vibrations.

5. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Forget the Black, then. While it's fast and capacious, it vibrates a LOT more than others. I tried one in a 13" i5 and it darned near could vibrate the laptop off the desk. It was better in a 15" but still noticeable. I have not tried it in a 17", but would expect it would be better than in the 15" based on greater mass and size.

If you want a silent and vibration-free 7200 RPM drive, try the Hitachi 500 GB 7200 RPM drive. It is acceptable in a 13" and inaudible in a 15".

6. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

I think you're right. Black is off my list.

Is Seagate XT quiet?

7. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

I have the Scorpio Black 750 and don't feel any vibrations in my late 09 MBP. It has been a great drive. I debated for quite a while between the Momentus XT and the Scorpio Black. It did not take long for me to go with the Scorpio over the XT after reading all of the drama with the drive. I did not want to take a chance and do not regret it one bit.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

One of the guys at work just installed on two weeks ago into his 2010 MBP, I had a listen and it was very quiet. In an office with the door closed so as to shut out ambient noise, I could not hear it at all.

I used Hitachi's for years, then WD and now after a lot of testing of different brands, I'm using SSD's in nearly all my laptops.

9. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I have one installed in an optibay and cannot hear or feel the drive. I also had a Seagate Momentus XT and found it to be both louder and have more vibration. The Seagate has since been installed in my daughters Santa Rosa Blackbook and has revitalized that machine. YMMV

10. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

Strange. Mine doesnt vibrate at all. No different than the previous hitachi 500gb 5400 drive

11. cvs macrumors member

cvs

I have the Scorpio 750GB Blue and you don't even know it is working in my MBP 15" optibay.

That was after I stopped it from 60 lpm (loads per minute :( ) and terrible clicking using the info on this page.

Not sure if all Scorpio's have this load cycle / clicking issues, though...

On the other hand, the SSD main drive had been a joy from day 1.

12. revenent macrumors regular

I have the WD Scorpio Black. It vibrates a lot and is very noticeable if your palms rest on the palm rest of the laptop and if you are in a very quiet place, you can actually hear the hard disk spinning. Not to mention getting poor battery life out of it....some have no issues with both but for me, my laptop has both issues. Vibration is acceptable since it spins faster, but the power it drains even on idling is atrocious

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm having the same issue here. I wish the XT would come in a 750GB flavor. Are there any other HD out there that comes in 750GB? I know they have a Scorpio Blue for that too.

14. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Seagate has one - they sell it at OWC

I haven't seen too many reviews about it though. I bought the 500gb flavor from OWC a year ago - works great for me