Scorpio Black only vs. SSD/HDD Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApplePu, May 11, 2011.

1. ApplePu macrumors regular

I've participated in many threads so far and read lots of posts and other information on the net.

I still can't make up my mind what to do with my new 15" MBP. I have 2 options to go:

1. Just replace the stock HDD with a 750GB Scorpio Black and keep the superdrive.

2. Do an optibay installation with a Intel 510 SSD and a Hitachi 5k750 750GB.

I'm generally not using the superdrive that much, but from time to time I need to have easy access to an optical drive. I've got the impression that this whole optibay thing is making problems. I need a reliable solution, so I ask you:

Is it really worth it to mess around with the optibay mod? Would I regret to go the old fashioned way and just install a fast HDD?

I've already got to know the speed and the "feeling" of SSDs, so probably I'll be much disappointed by using "just" a HDD.

The longer I think about it, the less I know what to do. So I would really appreciate your honest advice.....thank you!

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The Momentous XT is the only hard drive I would consider if you need 500-750g capacity. It has a 4g SSD integrated so its considered a 'hybrid' drive. The speed on it is much higher than the Black drive you mentioned.

Personally, I got a Vertex 3 and kept the super drive. 240g is enough space for me to carry around. When I'm at my home office I've got a large NAS unit I connect to for the large files and databases. The performance of the Vertex is significantly higher than the Intel 510, also so I don't see the value of the name brand in this case. OCZ and Vertex are good enough, IMHO.

Anyway, that's two options on how to handle it. I'm sure more folks will come along soon and post more for you.