Scosche FolIO IQ P2 for new iPad Video Review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by SheepNutz, Mar 20, 2012.

1. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I was looking for a case for the new iPad the day they were announced, and came upon the Scosche FolIO IQ P2. The website said that they were compatible with the iPad 2 and the new iPad (they've since changed that to say it's only compatible with the iPad 2), so I ordered on from newegg, $32 shipped. Well, it fits, but barely due to the increased thickness. Since there were no other reviews out there for the case, I decided to make my own, so here it is. Sorry for the sloppy camera work, doing my first review one-handed proved to be slightly challenging. If you have any questions about the case, ask away. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiPp17OBSdY

2. batman75 macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this. I really like this style of case. It is very similar to my Melkco Slimme case.

A few questions:
    1) Does the magnet functionality work on the iPad 3?
    2) Does the case stay closed unless you turn it upside down and shake?
    3) Tell us more about the quality of the materials? What does it feel like?

3. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. Yeah, the magnets work for sleep and wake. The only problem is that the magnets aren't the strongest, so the front part of the case that covers the glass has some wiggle room, and if it moves more than 3/8" or so, it'll stop sensing the magnet and wake the iPad up. I tried to show it in the review, but it's hard to do.

2. Yeah, the case will stay close unless you turn it upside down and shake. Even then, it takes a really hard shake to make the magnets detach from the glass. Once again though, I wish the magnets were stronger to keep the front from shifting around on the glass, which keeps waking it up while the cover is still on.

3. The quality of materials is outstanding. The outer part, both front and back feels like a slightly textured leather. The front of the case has stitching all around it, and it looks really secure and rugged. I don't think the stitches will be coming out anytime soon! The inside of both the front and back of the case feels like it's either suede or microsuede.

One other thing I forgot to mention in the review is that on the front of the cover, there's a magnet in the top left in addition to the ones on the right that handle the sleep and wake function. The purpose of the one on the left is to stick to the ones on the right when you form the front into the triangle used to make it into a stand. When you fold the front cover into a triangle, you'll feel it snap together securely as the magnets meet. It's a nice touch that keeps the triangle from shifting or unraveling when you're using it as a stand. I'm not sure if the original Apple smart covers have this feature or not.

4. NightCastle macrumors member

I read your comments and watched your review after mine was ordered. I got mine yesterday and, while it is a very tight fit, I realy like it. The only downside I can see is that the screen sometimes turns on when the smart cover slides around. Otherwise, I think it is the perfect case, for me.

By the way, great review!

Thanks.

5. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Yeah, the screen cover moving around and constantly locking/unlocking is the only real downside I'm seeing too, but it looks like a lot of cases do this.

6. rawan macrumors member

Hey guys. I came across this case and I'm thinking of getting it for my iPad 2. I currently have a similar case from Speck. The case is ok, but it adds significant weight and bulk to the otherwise thin and light iPad 2. Was leaning towards getting a smart cover (just because of how thin and light it is) but I'm not sure Im okay with having an unprotected back. This case protects the back, and it looks quite light and thin.

I was wondering if you (or NightCastle, since he also bought one) can do me a favor and weigh the cover and let me know how much it weighs? Il be able to compare it to my Speck one's weight and see how much lighter it is/if it's worth getting.

PS: thanks for the review. It's about the only one out there :p

Much appreciated,

Rawan

7. ///KM macrumors member

This was the first case I got for my iPad 3. I bought it back when they advertised it as being compatible with the iPad 3.

I found that the magnets didn't work for me, and the fitment was extra tight, especially with an Invisible Shield fitted in the back. I cracked one of the corners getting it off and noticed that the case was digging into the Invisible Shield and leaving creases in it. So I switched cases.

I love the case though, and wish it were 100% compatible with the iPad 3. It has the perfect blend of quality (carbon leather felt amazing), looks, and slim form factor I really wanted.

I hear Scosche is reworking the case for iPad 3 compatibility, so I might pick one up when it re-releases in a month or two. I hope they have re-sized the case for the 3.