Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Got an email from Scosche earlier today saying the iPad kickBACK case is now available for order.

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/212/sfID3/365/productID/2007
http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/212/sfID3/365/productID/1923

I ordered myself a white one, which they were running low on, so I may have to end up with black, I'll find out tomorrow.

The case will work well for me as I have a pre-schooler that uses mine in the evening a lot and it offers decent protection and an instant stand for movie watching for her. The folio style cases don't work well for her as they don't stand quite as solidly and the cover gets in her way or slides when it's folded back giving potential for dropping the iPad. I use it in a TPU case now (not that attractive but protective from a kid) and on a Griffin A-frame at work with a bluetooth keyboard. I'll ditch the a-frame now since this has a stand built in.

Last edited:

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
I was also looking at that case but my concern was it being to heavy with that case ? Looking forward to your review.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
I was also looking at that case but my concern was it being to heavy with that case ? Looking forward to your review.
Yes that is a potential issue. Hopefully it ends up being lighter than it looks. :) I'll be happy to give a review when mine arrives. Might be several weeks away since I'm in Canada and shipping this time of year is likely to be slow. Although I have my fingers crossed that Santa cares and wants things to get to Canada quickly. :D

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
looking forward to it, I had the Spec candy shell for a bit and it maid my iPad feel and look like a brick.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
looking forward to it, I had the Spec candy shell for a bit and it maid my iPad feel and look like a brick.
I suppose that could be an issue. We'll see I guess. There wasn't much out there that met my criteria though so I didn't have a lot of choice.

If anyone knows of anything else that fits my criteria, please share. :)
  1. built in stand for both horizontal and vertical that can be fully used (i.e. touching screen) either way without tipping over
  2. stand has to fold in flat, cannot be a separate piece, must not be flimsy and shouldn't be convoluted to use - 4 year old will likely flip out stand on her own
  3. doesn't cover the black area around the screen
  4. can sit nicely on a lap while child is riding in car seat - if it has a cover, the cover would have to securely fold out of the way, it couldn't just flip back and be loose when folded over

Last edited:

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
So how's the case? Just ordered one and am hoping it's alright. Your thoughts so far?
Thanks!

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
If anyone knows of anything else that fits my criteria, please share. :)

Have you looked at the Griffin "Standle" or the HardCandy Case " HardShell"? I have both. I can recommend any one of them.

Pro/con Griffin Standle:
+ Good protection against bumps and drops
+ Stable in both horizontal and vertical position
+ Stable horizontal typing
+ Very good handle for carrying
+ Comfortable rubber grips
+ Fits in the Apple dock
- A bit heavy
- No screen protection
- Adds a bit of bulk to the iPad (not much though)
- A bit fiddly to attach and to remove

Pro/con HardCandy Case HardShell:
+ Slim and light
+ Hardcover over the screen (snaps to the back when not in use)
+ Nice satin finish and discrete looking
+ Good kickstand for typing
+ Good drop protection (?)
+ Fits in the Apple dock
+ Easy to put on and to remove
- No vertical stand
- No horizontal movie stand
- A bit difficult to operate the volume switch

I find it difficult to chose one over the other, but as of now I use the HardCandy Case as I favor the screen protector and light weight. I don't care about the lack of movie stand as I don't watch movies on my iPad.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Thanks kobra. I'll keep the Griffin in mind if this one doesn't work out. The HardyCandy won't work as I definitely need at least the horizontal stand. It's been a saviour for rainy days when camping. :)

So how's the case? Just ordered one and am hoping it's alright. Your thoughts so far?
Thanks!

It's not here yet. I'll report back when it arrives. Canada Post is still off today for Christmas so it definitely won't come today.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Just contacted Scosche as I have not yet received an order confirmation email and my credit card hasn't been charged yet...GRRRRR.
Thanks, I just ordered one a couple days ago from buy.com, it was 35.99 if I remember correctly and that included free ground shipping. Not sure when it is going to get here, so we'll see!

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Thanks, I just ordered one a couple days ago from buy.com, it was 35.99 if I remember correctly and that included free ground shipping. Not sure when it is going to get here, so we'll see!
Seems to be $41.89 on buy.com now. Wish they shipped to Canada as that's better than $59!

Scosche did run out of white when I ordered but they forgot to let me know. They said I could have black now or wait until Jan. 10 for more white. And they are waiving my shipping cost for the hassle. Very nice of them and I decided to wait for the white.

I did find it at a couple Canadian stores for less than the $59, but they all seem to be out of stock right now. I've got a bit of time to find one for less since I'm waiting until the 10th anyway.

Last edited:

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Any updates here?

I'm waiting for some real world reviews before I pull the trigger. My Vaja case has been on for 4 months now so it's time to mix it up a little.

I'm thinking the white would be killer next to my white iPhone.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Any updates here?

I'm waiting for some real world reviews before I pull the trigger. My Vaja case has been on for 4 months now so it's time to mix it up a little.

I'm thinking the white would be killer next to my white iPhone.

I got mine today. The iPad fits pretty snug inside, doesn't feel like it is going to fall out. It sits recessed in the case with about maybe an eighth of an inch sticking out past the iPad. This is to help lock it in and also provide some protection I think. At first the stand feels a little flimsy but once you try using it, it feels a little more sturdy. The landscape stand feels very good while the portrait isn't as good.

I can't really compare this to any other cases as this is the first non-leather one I've gotten. It doesn't make the iPad heavy (to me anyway).

I may be able to get some pictures tomorrow.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
I'd love pics! I still don't have mine yet. How sturdy is it in landscape mode? Can you actually use it, pressing on it without tipping it over? Sounds like you can't do that in portrait mode?

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Mine finally arrived today. Well, I actually think it came last week as it was discovered today under the snow behind our BBQ (thanks UPS :rolleyes:). Scosche hadn't sent me an email saying they shipped it (maybe because they covered the shipping for me) so lucky it was discovered hiding outside before springtime!

It looks like it will provide the exact functionality that I need from it. And I like that the buttons are fully accessible. The last case I used (Mcally Metrolpad) made the volume button difficult to press and made it super hard to get to the mute switch.

My only dislike so far is the white is shiny. Others in the family like that it's shiny though, so it's just me. I think it's just because I wasn't expecting it to be shiny.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Sorry, I haven't been back on in quite a while and didn't have notifications set up for this thread. Mine has been pretty good so far. The case hasn't come off the iPad yet. The angles the stands provide aren't exactly to my liking, but they work. Overall I like the case and think it was worth what I paid.

Your thoughts Snow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.