Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Why do you guys think that Scott Forstall isn't really doing much in the tech industry after leaving Apple? He clearly had talent and could probably make or work for an awesome new startup.

I kinda think he wants to be Steve Jobs II and come back to Apple if Tim fails. What do you think his end game is? Is he just done with the industry? He probably has enough money to be.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
I think you're right about returning. Considering Tim deleting his tweet shows how weak he is as a person and crying about made up social issues, and how he only cares about shareholders (same as apple when steve left), he will drive the company to the bottom again and forstall should return.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think you're right about returning. Considering Tim deleting his tweet shows how weak he is as a person and crying about made up social issues, and how he only cares about shareholders (same as apple when steve left), he will drive the company to the bottom again and forstall should return.
Ah, yes, the good old "Applr is doomed" with the new sprinkle of "because of Tim".

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I initially expected him to return with a startup after the drama of his departure died out. But I also remember reading an article mentioning how he chastised the iOS team for not having enough big ideas, which leads me to believe that he lacks the personal innovation to produce his own startup. That would explain why he was working with existing startups as an adviser as opposed to making his own from the ground up.

I have a hard time seeing him returning to Apple given how many enemies he made during his time there, but I do hope he returns to tech eventually. I don't think the success of iOS was a fluke. He's obviously a very insightful and capable individual and I would like to see more of his work. If he doesn't want to continue with mobile software, there are a lot of other areas where he can bring his expertise. The tech industry is only going to continue to grow.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Ah, yes, the good old "Apple is doomed" with the new sprinkle of "because of Tim".

Also, given that Tim famously told shareholders to get lost (during an earnings call, no less), accusing him of "only caring about the shareholders" is especially off the mark.

On topic: I kind of miss Forstall, I think iOS was more fun when he was around. The reel-to-reel tape recorder in the podcasts app always made me smile.

A.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why do you guys think that Scott Forstall isn't really doing much in the tech industry after leaving Apple?
Who says he's not. He may be busy, but he is choosing not to tweet about it, and its more behind the scenes, or he could be enjoying the money he made at apple and has retired :)

I kinda think he wants to be Steve Jobs II and come back to Apple if Tim fails.
Never happen, there's a huge difference between Jobs and Forstall. Apple was Jobs baby, Forstall was just an employee. Even if Cook falls on his face and is fired, they'd not bring back an employee they fired.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He did that Broadway thing. So maybe he's just choosing to do stuff outside of technology or more low key stuff with startups and what not.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
I
Never happen, there's a huge difference between Jobs and Forstall. Apple was Jobs baby, Forstall was just an employee.

iOS was Forstall's baby, Federighi and Ive took it from him, butchered it and flattened it (in every sense of the word). It's a similar scenario with Jobs after being ousted but not quite on the same scale.

Under Forstall's direction, iOS (and by extension, OS X) had charm and character. It had a distinct identity the made it uniquely Apple. It was fun and enjoyable to use but now, it's sterile, soulless and amateurish in design and arguably less exciting. Say what you will about skeumorphism, but at least Apple didn't try so hard to emulate the Android and Windows phone GUIs. Apple did its own thing and did it extremely well, now they're just following the crowd. Think Different means nothing to Tim Cook anymore.

The fact that Forstall has a Jobs-esque persona makes him a prime candidate to eventually return to Apple to right the wrongs of Federighi and Ive.

Much has been about Forstall being an insufferable prick to work for/with, but that's why Apple needed him, because he was a living and breathing example of Steve's vision and style. He knew what had to be done and that meant alienating people and creating tension, but Apple was at its best because of that, not the holding hands and singing "Kumbaya" mentality of Tim Cook.

The fact that Ive rushed to redesign iOS clearly shows how eager Apple was to whitewash his creation and contributions. The guy freaking created iOS for crying out loud! That's nearly impossible to downplay and his presence is sorely missed. It's pathetic that such talent and genius was forgone because of petty corporate politics but then again, the same thing happened to Jobs back in 1985. Let's hope for a repeat of history!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.