Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattheush

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
Forestall was never involved with the Mac anyways, he was the iOS guy.
No. On WWDC 2006 he was responsible at Leopard and he makes demos (like Craig Federighi now). Maybe he was even responsible for Leopard-like design (2007-2013)

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Nope. skeuomorphic designs are crap. He was arrogant, and responsible for that POS apple maps.

He's best left out of Apple.

Because flat gawdy gradients are more intuitive and aesthetically pleasing? Forstall cannot be held responsible for the data in Maps, just the app which is/was outstanding.

He was arrogant? You mean like Steve Jobs? Surely that can't be good for Apple /s

Last edited:

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010

Attachments

• Icons-04.png
    Icons-04.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 169
  • App-Store-Icon.png
    App-Store-Icon.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 184

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Gaudy and ostentatious design don't seem very "grown up" to me.

You can spout as many adjectives as you want, but photorealism in a good form (like the App Store icon above) is implicit and conveys an idea of what it is. The flat design is mostly explicit, it feels abstract and empty.

Forstall said that he also didn’t like some extreme use cases for photorealism, but it was the HIG back then and at least they had some rules. Looking at how Apple implemented dark mode in Mojave and applies flat UI guidelines across macOS and apps is utter joke and borders on complete disregard of usability.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
No.
[doublepost=1544444658][/doublepost]
Like Apple Maps?

Apple maps was doomed no matter who owned it. How can you compete with Google who have been mapping for so long and think you can release a product and it be perfect? Mapping the planet isn't a simple thing. People focus on this one event and not at all the good he did. It's human nature to magnify the negatives.

silver_mtb

Suspended
Nov 27, 2018
Gaudy and ostentatious design don't seem very "grown up" to me.
As if, should Scott come back to Apple NOW he would still use the popular design language from a decade ago...lol, do you think he is not aware of basic design trends? You all blame Scott for Skeuomorphic design when it was simply the design motif of the time, across all tech companies. Also, a bit "less flat" is emerging as the latest style. 10 years from now we may have a different version of not-flat design that is popular. I would like to see YOUR icon or UI designs from 2008!

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Also, a bit "less flat" is emerging as the latest style. 10 years from now we may have a different version of not-flat design that is popular.
I wish we'd have "non-flat" right now. I'm tired of not being able to tell which window is focused on my Mac, or having to turn on all of the accessibility options to make things easier to see on an iPhone despite having otherwise perfectly good vision.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Why Scott?
1. Tech oriented. (Masters in Comp Sci from Stanford)
2. He seemed to "care" about the tech
3. He did great presentation
4. He was capable of persuading Steve Jobs

Last edited:

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
You can bet your bottom dollar Forstall is not coming back. Even if they asked him, I think he’s moved on. Not that I wouldn’t like to see what he could do.

That said, are you guys really so dense you believe that bringing back Scott would automatically mean the return of skuemorphism? Or do you just like setting up straw-men so you can knock them down? Either way, poor play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.