Scott Kelly's year in space

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Mar 27, 2015.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

We already know what's going to happen...

He's going to enjoy his Hadfield's guitar so much up there, he'll come back with a Chris Hadfield/Tom Selleck moustache! :p

BL.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Meh. An astronaut spends one year living in a tin can an incredible 120 miles away from the Earth.

The future is so disappointing. Where are the jet packs and the flying cars? What happened to yesterday's tomorrows?

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

250 miles actually. We can't deal with drones now and you want everyone driving a flying car?

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

So Scott Kelly returns back to earth March 1.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yesterday's tomorrow became today's constraints. And by that, no, I don't mean financial constraints. I mean the biological limits of what we, ourselves, as humans can do in such an environment.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The module lands safely ending a year in space for Scott Kelly.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I have been following this story; absolutely fascinating.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

I'll bet he's excited to use a regular toilet again..

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But only when his legs are able to support his own weight, yes; not before then. Indeed, until then, I imagine that any assistance tendered in such matters will be broadly welcomed.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm disappointed. No Chris Hadfield moustache! :p

Welcome home, Mr. Kelly!

BL.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im pissed that the media didn't care less about this and was more concerned in blowhard president candidates.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If you haven't seen it. Check out Scott Kelly's Instagram image stream:

https://www.instagram.com/stationcdrkelly

I hope he has the rights to those pictures because he could definitely publish a book.

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I've wondered that, does NASA own all images from the ISS?

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

He's on the clock the whole time so id say yes

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

And using station cameras. I wonder if they have a license agreement that who ever took the shot gets ownership rights.

19. Gav2k, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I think given nasas funding standpoint and lack of interest from the media these days it's more a case of get it out there anyway you can.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll tell you this.

My children had the biggest shock and blessing in their lives when my wife and I decided to not only restrict the Youtube app on our iPads, but replaced it with the YouTube Kids app. Not because it restricted the type of videos that they could watch (read: mature, language, etc.), but it freed up the number of videos that are kid friendly.

With that said, they went from watching the typical Angry Birds fodder to learning about the planets, and more recently, the CSA videos with Chris Hadfield and astronauts on the ISS answering normal day-to-day questions. For example, questions about wringing out water, making and drinking coffee, why tears don't fall in space, and washing your hair/haircuts (something Kelly doesn't have to worry about :p ). Finding this out from Kelly would be wonderful for them, as they are totally into space now, and that's saying something for a just-turned 6 year old and to-be 4 year old.

BL.

21. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

When I was younger I would watch NASATV when we had that channel on cable. I was fascinated with the launches and space walks. I am still amazed at how many "closeted space fans" there are. I thought I was the only one that would sit there and watch this stuff. I am pleasantly surprised that there are a lot of people that have an interest in NASA. The internet in many ways has helped with NASA to promote what they do.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great story and thanks for sharing.

Not only that, but it keeps you up to date and abreast of what is happening.

A few decades ago, even if you followed this stuff (and I did, eagerly) the books that were published were invariably just that little bit out of date, as it took so long for the material to be cleared and then published that fresh data or facts may have emerged in the meantime.

That does not apply with the internet, and I, for one, delight in the sheer joy of losing myself in reading about what is known and what is available for study on these matters, and thrill to the fascination of learning more about it all.

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I tweeted this question of yours to NASA and the ISS Research Twitter account responded with this link in regards to the question. It kind of answers it, but not really since the question is regarding a NASA employee and not the general public. But my interpretation would be that Scott Kelly would not be permitted to use the images in a book of his for commercial purposes or personal gain, but I could see NASA granting him an exemption if he asked.

24. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Most of NASA images are public domain, being a government agency I think they have an open license. So even if Kelly wanted to I don't think he could profit off of those images.