Scotty dies...

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
James Doohan, aka. Montgomery Scott from Star Trek TOS, has passed on through the final frontier, and gone where no man has gone before.

It's a sad day for Trekkie fans - apparently all the more now knowing that he couldn't change the laws of Physics...

:(

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
kiwi_the_iwik said:
It's a sad day for Trekkie fans - apparently all the more now knowing that he couldn't change the laws of Physics...

:(
Do you mean to tell me that he really couldn't "beam" anybody anywhere? :p

Anyway, it's sad to see him go. We'll miss you, Scotty.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sort of wish he could have enjoyed his retirement from public life a bit more and in better health. :(

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
What will the trekkies do, hope you don't need a computer repaired as the nerds are in mourning.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."
He accused Shatner of hogging the camera, adding: "I like Captain Kirk, but I sure don't like Bill. He's so insecure that all he can think about is himself."
In a 1998 interview, Doohan was asked if he ever got tired of hearing the line "Beam me up, Scotty."

"I'm not tired of it at all," he replied. "Good gracious, it's been said to me for just about 31 years. It's been said to me at 70 miles an hour across four lanes on the freeway. I hear it from just about everybody. It's been fun."

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Always liked him, he leaves a great legacy. Any science fiction show/movie that has an engineer will always have to compare themselves to Scotty.

D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I think he's gone where all men have gone before....

But regardless, it's still a sad day in Trekkie-land. Thank god Shatner's still filling his girdle.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers go out to the family and friends of James Doohan. He certainly had a long full life. May he rest in peace. Thank you for the many years of pleasurable entertainment.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
San Jose, CA
I met James Doohan when I was a freshman at Rensselaer (RPI) in upstate New York. I and the rest of the students who had come to the large Physics lecture hall (appropriate place, eh?) to hear Doohan speak left with tears of laughter. We had never laughed as hard or been entertained as thoroughly. After his talk, I got the chance to speak to him privately. While Doohan had less screentime than Kirk and Spock, he was a lot more charismatic.

RIP.

iSaint

macrumors 603
ksz said:
I met James Doohan when I was a freshman at Rensselaer (RPI) in upstate New York. I and the rest of the students who had come to the large Physics lecture hall (appropriate place, eh?) to hear Doohan speak left with tears of laughter. We had never laughed as hard or been entertained as thoroughly. After his talk, I got the chance to speak to him privately. While Doohan had less screentime than Kirk and Spock, he was a lot more charismatic.
I visited RPI once for a national youth conference (I was an attending adult). Cool campus and fun times! My daughter still has her RPI shirts!

back on topic...the CNN poll asks what your favorite Scotty quote is:

"We're losing the warp engines"
You can't mix matter and anti-matter cold"
"If we keep up this speed, we'll blow up any minute now"

IMO none of these are as memorable as "I'm giving her all she's got Captain, she can't take much more!"

Of course, who can forget after the great Klingon battle when Kirk looks for Spock, and realizing he's not there hears Scott say "I think you'd better get down here Captain"

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
He gave it all he had, Captain

Very sad news.

He was very young. He will be missed. RIP

I agree, ST4 when he was instructing the computer through the mouse.... all time classic.