Scrambled Graphics on Late 2007 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Eidorian, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm usually not one to make a new thread but this problem is starting to bug me. Snow Leopard (10.6.2) has been running reasonably for the past few months short a few graphical issues. They tend to happen on both my iMac Core Duo and MacBook (Late 2007). I suspected the half hearted video drivers for both older Macs.

Recently it started getting worse on the MacBook, especially in Finder, that can be resolved by logging out. Eventually it'll start happening again though.

Moving a window over the garbled parts doesn't fix it. It just showed up in the Cmd + Tab switcher as well. I logged out again and that fixed it for now.

How is taking this to the mothership going to end up?

Attached Files:

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

3. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thank you for coordinating all those links. It's nice to see someone else that does it as well.

Those screen shots look strangely similar. I'll hold out for 10.6.3 but this shouldn't be happening to begin with.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Good news is, one of the things 10.6.3 is going to focus on is graphic drivers. Hopefully that will fix it if not you're probably looking at a hardware issue, but of course you would know that.

5. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Given that it's identical across many machines and easily remedied, it was screaming drivers at me.

Snow Leopard has some really half hearted drivers for the GMA X3100 and Mobility X1600.

6. Tech-Boy macrumors regular

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm beginning to think so too. Like you, Snow Leopard has been working well for the most part but right after upgrading from Leopard, I've been noticing some weird issues regarding video (specifically with the 9400M and not the 9600M GT). I hoping that .3 will solve that or I'm looking at a possible hardware issue. With less than 2 weeks before my one year is up, I guess I'm looking at purchasing AppleCare as a safety net as I don't think the update will happen before 10.6.3.

8. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm still under AppleCare until October. I don't plan on trying anything exotic yet. The only major hack I have running is the old Dock for Exposé Classic.

10.6.3 does look like a major graphics update. I hope the GMA X3100 is included as well.

9. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

Same issue with my 2006 model. restored software and had 3 replaced logic boards. They couldn't fix it so they gave me a new macbook. Even if the issue was software or even RAM they couldn't figure it out and I lovin' my new mac. minus not having firewire.

10. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would be nice to get a new notebook but I'd rather have a more concrete reason. Did you feel lucky getting a new notebook? How were you able to replicate the problem for them? Did they keep your notebook for testing?

11. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

I felt a bit lucky since I was out of warranty at the time but the repairs started before it was out of warranty. They had it in for testing and they just couldn't figure it out. I restored software and replaced many logic boards. They had to keep the old one as part of the warranty agreement. I didn't care b/c I have nothing to hide.

12. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not a very chronic graphic condition though. My trackpad is acting up again as well even after a PRAM reset.

13. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I sometimes get that garble on my macbook when I open a new Safari
    window. Like under the tabs, in the display box, where the most frequented
    pages goes. Sometimes it is garbled for a second. But it becomes un-
    garbled after a sec. It's done this on my last 2 macbooks too. This
    is my third unibody macbook pro/macbook. It's a driver problem I think.

Well yours, I don't know. Yours happens on the desktop? hrmm..