Scrambled graphics

Discussion in 'macOS' started by in/flux, Jun 1, 2008.

1. in/flux macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Just now, my graphics went haywire and went scrambled, and then started stuttering:

http://opensocialwiki.dreamhosters.com/115.mov
    (sorry for bad video, couldn't find my camera when right when I needed it :| )

I had to force-shutdown the system.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

That happened to me once. I thought it was something that happened with Parallels running Windows. I was able to clear parts of the screen by moving applications around to find the apple menu & restart the computer.

3. in/flux thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... interesting. I don't use Parallels though, but thanks.

4. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

I have the same thing on my computer and I don't know why it's doing that. I ASSUMED it's 10.5.3 update that screwed up.

http://www.aaroninflash.com/downloads/fuzzy.png

It's PowerMac G4 with dual processor 1.42 and 2 GB of ram. I probably will upgrade the video graphic card to ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Edition and hopefully that will solve this problem.

It has better not be the new update that messed up my graphic card...

5. Amigalander macrumors regular

Mine started doing that when I hooked up my new monitor (Doublesight 263N). I assumed it was some sort of DVI communication issue. I have to hard reset my Mac when it happens too. It never happened with my old monitor.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Just out of curiosity did you install 10.5.2 AND the graphics update before updating to 10.5.3 ?

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

I guess it's just a fluke in OpenGL. No one seems to have anything happening in common.

Mine happened on a new iMac running 10.5.2 (before 10.5.3)

8. in/flux thread starter macrumors newbie

This has been happening since 10.5.0.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Any of you have the problem described in this post?

10. dainomac macrumors newbie

hello actually my problems appear worse that that... since I updated to 10.5.3 I noticed a desktop graphics pixel behavior in the finder, with every application, sometimes disappear some other time remain and I need to quit or select all elements... see attached pictures to see what appens, really similar to the mini-video posted. in other thread they talk about MacBook and MacBook Pro video graphic problems, but I've got an iMac (latest Intel 20').

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. dainomac macrumors newbie

scrambled graphics disappeared since 3 days ago... no updates installed :confused: anyway I feel better :D

12. dainomac macrumors newbie

just a note more... I didn't plug anymore an external Lacie 500GB hard-disk...

13. tonyp1976 macrumors newbie

Scrambled Graphics

I am having a very similar problem with my PowerMac G4 1.42 and 2 GB of ram. I have an ATI Radeon 9700 and this problem showed up last night. Even with multiple restarts it persists. Video is scrambled on my ADC 17"crt and if I change to my ADC 17" lcd it's still jumbled. I have an ATI Technologies RADEON 9200 128MB MacEdition PCI Graphics card in the same machine and the lcd hooked to that card is fine. Are you still having the same issue?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

14. tonyp1976 macrumors newbie

scrambled Graphics

15. PeaceOut macrumors member

It's happened to me the 2 days ago when I unplugged my external monitor from my new mbp (3 months old). I'm not sure how you're suppose to disconnect an external monitor, so far I have just been pulling the plug off the laptop and the screen turns blue for a moment and then comes back okay. Is this the right way of doing it?

Here's my images:

Here's my mbp attached to the external on the left side. I removed the connection and this happened so I plugged it back in and it still remained this way. (in case you were wondering why it's still connected.)
    IMG00037.jpg

Trying to figure out what was going on. I closed my mbp and it actually went to sleep and then I opened it to discover this picture. The mouse moves and it looks like everything is functioning underneath but the graphics is all messed up.
    IMG00041.jpg

16. tfarrell839 macrumors newbie

tfarrell839

Try resetting PRAM

I have consistent problems with the video on my iMac 2.16GHz Intel 24" model, and I have had the logic board replaced twice under apple care, but the problem persists.

A few notes:
    I have a BootCamp setup with Windows XP that I almost never use. Paralells 3 is installed too, never use that either anymore.
    I can't remember if the problem started before or after the install of paralells, but i remeber getting my worst problems running windows in bootcamp a few months ago.

I recently called apple about it and they told me to reset the PRAM three times in a row (you restart holding P,R,Option,Command don't release it until you have heard the bong three times). Apparently it resets the firmware on the logic board, which I guess is attached to the video card. It fixed me up temporarily and got me out of a jamb. It isn't a permanent solution (although they thought it should be), but maybe it will save someone out there at some point.

Still, I think this computer is going back under the knife, thank god for applecare.