Scrambled lock screen with MBP and Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maswriter, Oct 18, 2014.

1. maswriter macrumors member

maswriter

I upgraded my Early 2011 15-inch MBP to Yosemite. Everything works great, but I'm having an intermittent problem with my display. When the computer has been asleep for a long time, the background of the lock screen is scrambled with random blocks of color. The password field is readable, and when I enter my password, the screen is fixed and everything looks right. When I can reproduce the problem, I'll post a screen shot.

My MBP has Intel HD Graphics 3000 video and the 2-GHz Intel Core i7 processor. I don't think this is the model with the video people are complaining about.

Have you had the same problem? Is there a fix?

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I think you may have been hit with Radeongate

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you have an i7, it's definitely a 15" variant.

And it means Radeongate has hit your Mac.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Random and intermittent graphic issues? Certainly sounds like your GPU is failing :(

5. Hustler1337, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Just had the same issue today and it freaked me out. I woke my 15" Early 2011 MBP from sleep and the login screen looked kinda scrambled with the colours appearing to be messed up.

Once I logged in, everything was perfect.

I'm really hoping this is not a sign of RadeonGate hitting my machine - I can't afford to replace my MBP right now and I've been trying extremely hard over the past few months to ensure that my MBP runs cool and only on integrated GPU to prolong it's life.

I have never had this issue before and hope this is an issue with Yosemite rather than RadeonGate. Feel slightly more comfortable knowing someone else had this issue, though it's a 2011 MBP! :|

Will also post a picture of the issue if it ever re-occurs (hopefully never).

EDIT: Looks like someone else had a similar issue on the Public Beta release. Not sure if his is a 2011 MBP and his one seems much more severe than what I had. http://www.jbwoodruffdesign.com/impressions-os-x-10-10-yosemite-public-beta/

EDIT 2: Found another similar, though not same issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1758497

6. chzhukov macrumors newbie

I am so relieved I have found others with this problem! It just started when I upgraded to Yosemite also. Just occasionally on the lock screen. Though I have had it also when I maximise pdfs in preview to full screen, though much rarer. I also have a 2011 macbook, and never had this problem when I was on Mavericks

Would be great if someone could find some sort of a solution.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It's Radeongate, but because you live in the UK, you have the Sale of Goods act on your side.

8. marcstober macrumors newbie

Same issue on 13", not Radeon

I'm having the same issue on a 2011 13" MBP since upgrading to Yosemite.

It's only the lock screen - I'm not having any other graphics issues. And it's the Intel graphics - the 13" model didn't even have a Radeon option, IIRC. And it started exactly when upgrading to Yosemite. So it smells to me like a software issue with Yosemite, or possibly exacerbated by Yosemite - unlikely hardware would fail at exactly the same time as the OS update.

I can type my password and hit enter and log in just fine, although it can be hard to see the fields. (They are not scrambled, by the way, only the background image.)

My guess is the lock screen wasn't tested well enough on 2011 models. It actually looks like a bug decoding the bitmap of the background, by the way it's banded, etc. I'm editorializing here, but Apple is more of a consumer products company that doesn't put as much work into long term service of older models.

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Is it possible it looks something like the middle picture of the flowers here? Something like the background on Launchpad but with the password entry box? That's the way the lock screen looks in Yosemite.