Scrambled Text inside PDF only in Apple Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doctoree, Jul 25, 2008.

1. doctoree macrumors 6502

I searched for this but didn't find anything.

When I open a specific PDF file, Apple Preview displays all the letters ontop of each other at the left side of each line. This makes it impossible to read.
    All other apps like for example Adobes overloaded PDF reader display the file correctly.

Does somebody have a solution?

2. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

No solution, but I'm having similar problems. Sometimes preview won't display a figure in a pdf, or won't display equations or other formatting/text correctly. I can usually open up the pdf in Acrobat Pro and it displays just fine.

3. Platonist macrumors member

Platonist

I have had this problem as well. It turned out (I think) to be an issue with how the pdf was originally encoded. The pdfs I have had issues with were created in obscure programs or with older versions of Adobe. The only program that would open them was Adobe itself -- all other programs had problems with the files.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This is a known issue with Leopard's PDF viewer, oddly enough those PDFs should display fine in Tiger.

5. Platonist macrumors member

Platonist

My issues occurred in both Tiger and Leopard, so if the issues discussed occur only in Leopard they are most likely different than the ones I faced.

6. deftdrummer macrumors regular

I too am most definitely having the same problems as all you are in OS X Leopard 10.5.4 this is really annoying for people like me who want to be able to save .pdf files once you have entered text into fields, but Adobe does not permit saving or sending via email once text fields have been altered unless you have Adobe Pro. How ****ing annoying.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Buy Acrobat Pro:rolleyes:

8. doctoree thread starter macrumors 6502

They don't display in Tiger. When I use no compression (which is NO solution in the long run) then they display in Leopard though.

It's really annoying

9. muntu pilut macrumors newbie

Before installing Microsoft Office 2008, all my PDF files showed up normal, even in preview. Ever since I installed the Microsoft junk, my PDF files don't display correctly....:mad: