Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spontida

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Hello, I have the Early 2011 MacBookPro, when I turn it on you can hear a scraping noise instead of the normal noise when turning on my macbook. I recently uninstalled my bootcamp partion. (Anything have to do with it?) Whats wrong with it? This has been happening for a few days now. I am scheduled to take it to the apple store tomorrow if that helps.

Can any mod move it to the right section? MacBook Pro

Last edited:

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Scraping noise huh. How long does it continue? Does it really sound like mechanical scraping? If so, the bootcamp-manouver can not have anything to do with it...

An early 2011 MBP has moving parts in these locations: Below your right hand (under the palm rest) (HDD), under right side of keyboard (Superdrive) and at top of keyboard, in the middle (13") or on both sides of the middle (15" and 17") (fan). If you can localize the noise, it may help diagnosing...

RGDS,

Spontida

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
I think its under the palm rest but I am not sure, also IF the HD fails will my iPhoto photos be lost? The other things dont matter only pictures and stuff.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I think its under the palm rest but I am not sure, also IF the HD fails will my iPhoto photos be lost? The other things dont matter only pictures and stuff.

Yes, EVERYTHING will be annihilated.
Back up before it is too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.