Scratch and Dent Compensation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skizzot, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Skizzot macrumors newbie

Today, I received my configure to order 15" Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, when I took the plastic off, there was a small, but noticeable dent on the bottom. After opening the lid, I noticed a small scratch on the palm rest. The scratch remained after cleaning the area with a microfiber cloth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided that I should give Apple a call. The Applecare gentleman mentioned that a dent may be a sign it was dropped. He then transferred me to sales where a lady offered me compensation if I were to keep the Macbook Pro. She explained that I could propose compensation or she could make an offer. I asked what she could offer. I declined the offer of a free Macbook Pro case combined with refund of $100 and asked for a replacement.

I should receive a printable label for a FedEx pickup. The replacement will be sent with 2-3 day shipping , as was paid for originally (plus 1-3 days to make it). Overall, I'm a bit disappointed. Although, I am still anxiously awaiting my new Macbook Pro.:eek: I will update the post with turnaround time when I receive my package.

Hopefully those with similar issues will find this useful. If you have a Macbook Pro with damage that appears to be cosmetic, I would recommend having a value in mind that you consider fair compensation before you make a call to Apple.

Has anyone else be offered compensation or proposed compensation?
    Did you take it?

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Oh yuck. Sorry to hear that! Glad they're making it right man. :) To me slight defects such as a piece of metal not aligning by half a milimeter are nothing, but.. yea that's a damn visible scratch & dent combination!

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You might have asked for $200 (for the scratch, considering the overall price of the notebook) plus a new bottom plate which is user replaceable (dents are completely unacceptable). Otherwise you definitely made a good decision. I would have done the same.

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hey i'm in the same boat as you, waiting for my returned MBP. Mine was a refurb that wobbled when you put it down on any surface.

Apple refunded my next day shipping since I returned it on the second day.

They told me they would release my replacement as soon as FedEx received the package so hopefully that is what they actually do....

5. Skizzot thread starter macrumors newbie

All's well that ends well

I received my replacement CTO Macbook Pro exactly 7 days (5 business days) after I initiated the return of the damaged one. I am really satisfied with the replacement and have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the comments guys, at first I felt a bit nitpicky. After reading your comments and receiving the replacement, I am very happy with the decision I made.

6. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

That lady is crazy. $100 for a dent and scratch? Good thing you said NO!

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Oops. Is my eyes have some problem??
    This is 17" if I'm right. Is not 15"

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No. If you check the size of the speaker grills and the wristrest, it is a 15.

9. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Apple's replaced most of my computer... except my HDD. Scratched screen (not my fault) but I had a dent in my upper and bottom case and they replaced that also for no charge. Extremely impressed with their CS.