Scratch Disc for my MBP 15" / Selling PB 12"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gkp, Feb 8, 2009.

1. gkp macrumors member

Hello,
    I am going to be a proud owner of a new MBP 15 2.53gHz next week!
    Question 1: Somewhere along the line I heard that you can use another hard drive for a scratch disc for editing videos, etc. Do you do this in firewire target mode? can I use a 800 to 400 firewire adapter? will the speed be to slow if I use my powerbook 12"?
    Question 2: I have this PB 12" that I got dirt cheap 1 1/2 years ago and it is slowly going to crap. The keyboard stopped working except the letters do work, No backspace, delete, etc. (I have a bluetooth keyboard so this has been my work around)Also the optical drive stopped working. Locked up on me. every once in a while it will make a noise like it is trying to spit out a cd, but the slot entrance is blocked. ?? Anyways, I am not worried since I am getting the new MBP...Is this thing even worth selling? If so, how much do you think it would go for? recycle?
    Thanks!

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Congrats!

Scratch Disk, I believe is used by some applications like PhotoShop. After connecting your external drives with Firewire, OS X will mount it automatically. As I understand there is a setting you can set in PS, for ex., to point to this mounted HD to use it as the scratch disk.

Otherwise for the OS to take advantage of two HDs while the external is plugged in, take a look at RAID options in Disk Utility (but I don't consider this practical for a laptop).

That machine in that condition, my guess is you'd be lucky to get ~$200 for it.

3. gkp thread starter macrumors member

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Anytime :). Enjoy your new MBP when it arrives!

5. gkp thread starter macrumors member

Got it!

Who cares about that 12" now...typing this from my MBP 2.53 15"
    :D