Scratch Disks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Jan 14, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have two SSDs in my MacBook -- should I designate the "slower" SSD as the scratch disk in Photoshop CS5? This would be my second SSD; more specifically, the one which does NOT contain Photoshop. Or does it not matter? As my main drive, the 840 Pro, is fast enough to function as both the home of Photoshop and the scratch disk.

Thx

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'm not really sure, but I would put them on the faster one if you have the extra space.

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well Adobe advises against putting the scratch disk on the boot drive or the drive which contains the application. The Samsung 470 (SATA II) would be the scratch disk but the 840 is slightly faster so I don't know if there's a purpose of assigning the second drive as a scratch disk?

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'm guessing this was before SSDs? And many people only have one drive so I don't think this is a big deal.

5. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

This used to be a big deal with slow spinning drives, where accessing data and the program at a the same time could mean the head having to travel a long way. With SSDs there is no mechanical head, so it doesn't matter at all.

6. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response guys. I guess I'm groping for some advantage of two 128 GB SSDs over one 256 GB SSD -- without striping the drives. I'm trying to internally justify why I went the route of reduced functionality by removing the optical drive for a second SSD, when I could have had my CDs and eaten them too with a 256GB and letting the optical drive be. Well, it was more cost effective, since I already had one of the SSDs.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Use the faster SSD.

Though I advise getting more RAM if possible.

8. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. So there's pretty much no advantage to dual-SSDs ... without a RAID configuration?

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ugh. You are over-thinking this. Keep in mind those recommendations were from the 1990s from Adobe. Right now if you allow adequate space, you will be fine. Make sure you don't set your memory preferences too high. It will eat everything you give it just ram caching everything possible, and you don't want to starve the OS.

10. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, but beyond scratch disks, can anyone conceive of some benefit to dual-SSDs over a single SSD?

11. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Well, conceivably if you were saturating the busses a striped raid might provide a speed improvement, but in real life I doubt it.