Scratch drive question: G-RAID2 1TB vs. Iomega Ultramax 1.5TB ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kid A, May 9, 2008.

1. Kid A macrumors regular

Just got a brand new 24" iMac last Friday. So far, so awesome. :D

Now I need to get a scratch drive and a back-up system in place. (I'm gonna be using this to edit mostly HDV, some DV, footage in FCE).

As for the scratch drive:

G-RAID2 1TB for $479
    http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID2.cfm

-=OR=-

Iomega Ultramax Pro 1.5TB for $474
    http://www.iomega.com/direct/product...=1210289485782

???

What's, y'know, the difference?? Both have FW800. About the same price (at least from the manufacturer). Both "look nice" to me (I know that is superficial). One is .5TB bigger.

I'm new to this stuff; trying to learn as much as possible before throwing the money around.

Also, am I correct in understanding that RAID-0 is OK for a scratch drive, and that you don't really need any redundancy or back-ups of your scratch drive (since you can recapture if need be)?? I'll be using FCE, which I haven't even installed yet--so I apologize if this next question is stupid and noobish: Let's say there was a scratch drive failure. Can your FCE project file correctly identify re-captured scratch files and actually let you continue your edits??--Re-build itself, so to speak?

That being the case, do I just need back-up for my internal HDD? I have a 320GB internal. So would a 500GB Time Capsule be sufficient?

Thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd get the G-Raid as I'd expect it to be a better quality case (poor quality cases are more likely to fail and more likely to let the drive over heat thus causing the drive to fail).

What format(s) will you be editing? RAID-0 might be overkill for your situation.

FCE does not have a batch capture function. If your drive goes south you'll have to redo the edit by hand.

Lethal

3. Kid A thread starter macrumors regular

Mostly HDV footage captured from Canon HV20 camcorders. I've seen a few people recommend G-RAIDs on hv20.com, but no real mentions of the Iomega Ultramax.

Oh snap! That's not good news.