Scratch from speck case - your experiences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onne2slick, Jun 19, 2010.

1. onne2slick macrumors regular

I know there are many threads regarding cases (not just Speck) that can POSSIBLY, scratch your MBPs. All the threads cover the dust/ and particles, etc issue seeking into the case, thus scratching the aluminum unibody. This I know, is something everybody can prevent, so i'm not worried about that

However, I want to know about the edges of the case. The 4 edges that actually snaps onto your MBP. I recently bought the Speck seethru clear case, and the edges I would say, are semi-rough. I'm worried that this might scratch the aluminum. - I was looking for a way to sort of soften the edges a bit ? (any suggestions?)

I have taken the case out 3 times, and haven't seen scuffs on the aluminum, but I worry that eventually it will wear the aluminum down - creating a line of scratch from the edges.
    Any thoughts/ experience on this?

I also, do own a Incase neoprene sleeve - does anybody think that something can get into the case while in the neoprene sleeve?
    I'm sure i'm just being paranoid, but yeah...

2. Kawininja619 macrumors member

I have a Speck case on my MBP and have not had a problem with scratches. I only use the case when I am traveling or going to school, so I take it out quite a bit. I do find dust inside if I leave the mbp in the case for long periods of time. The edges on my case are rough as well, but I have no problems with it.

3. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to hear that the rough edges aren't a problem with you! :D
    How long have you used the case for? - Are the edges still rough after this long?

4. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

5. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

All cases can scratch anything. On every device that I have used a case with (ipods, iphone), stuff has been caught in between the case and the device and it scratches it. I would never use a case on my mbp.

6. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said, i'm talking about the rough edges. I'm not worried about the dust particles/ lint and stuff getting in. That's the users responsibility

7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have to confess I don't see why people use these cases. Is it to improve looks because what could look better than the aluminium casing? Is it to protect against scratches? Do the MBPs really scratch when out and about? I use a Waterfield case and have a 4 year old MBP which has been out and about on a regular basis and is scratch free. Is the prevention of a scratch enough to justify encasing the entire laptop with a black etc. case?

8. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't use a black case, I use a clear. And for that reason, is to simply show off, and embrace the original aluminum look. Yes, i'm aware cases will not protect anyone from drops, etc. But I have terrible, terrible OCD. Believe it or not, I even get paranoid with the MBP naked on my lap. I fear it might touch the table, etc and get scratches. For those reasons, it is enough to justify for me to have a case on.

9. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I personally haven't used a case for a mbp, but I imagine that a case will always be something that a device can rub against and scratch. I don't see the point, just be careful with it. It's not like it should ever be subject to the same type of abuse (namely going in a pocket) that an ipod or iphone would be put through... I honestly can't think of a situation where a macbook should be scratched. Furthermore, if you want a plastic looking computer, just get a windows box. What is the point of having such a good looking and unique computer if you are just going to cover it with silicon or plastic?

10. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

Having a case is a personal choice, and out of the question..

11. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Ok I'm not disagreeing with that... I am just saying that if you are carful with it you won't need one and if you do get one realize it is always a possibility that it will scratch you mbp. Aluminum is not the most scratch resistant material. A case by design is inherently potentially damaging to anything it covers.

12. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just be careful, and everything will be all right...

13. mgirl macrumors newbie

Speck case made little holes and bleached some colour on my macbook pro. :mad: