Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maw4bc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
I bought a refurb on the website when I bought my 2011 MBP and I have just noticed what I thought was a spec of dirt or something but when I tried wiping it off it wont come off. After further inspection it looks as if it is on the inside of the glass. You can't feel it on the outside and it is definitely some kind of scratch. can I take this back to the apple store or what? It is driving me insane. It is small but my sanity will be gone if I try to work on this thing any longer. Is there a way to fix it?

I also just noticed a grey area, that looks to be deep inside the glass? I am thinking I need to return this. Will they give me a new one at the Apple Store?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If I understand your question... you bought a refurb from the online store, and you want to know if they will give you a new one at the Apple Store?

I think if you want to return it, you need to return it online for another refurb replacement

maw4bc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
yeah i bought it online from the refurb store. Was wondering if I could take it back to the local Apple Store, or if there is anything that can be done?

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Normally this kind of thing isn't covered in a refurb wararanty. You could defo ask though. IT's probably why it was sent back from new in the first place and that's the luck of the draw with the refurbs I think. Most are unmarked but a few have marks apparently.If you can't return it I wouldn't stress about it, after a couple weeks you won't even notice it there, but I totally understand the shock and disappointment of it in the first place.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Normally this kind of thing isn't covered in a refurb wararanty. You could defo ask though. IT's probably why it was sent back from new in the first place and that's the luck of the draw with the refurbs I think. Most are unmarked but a few have marks apparently.If you can't return it I wouldn't stress about it, after a couple weeks you won't even notice it there, but I totally understand the shock and disappointment of it in the first place.

Umm, DE, you're just wrong.

OP, call Apple and arrange an exchange. From Apple:

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Umm, DE, you're just wrong.

OP, call Apple and arrange an exchange. From Apple:

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

Right, sorry.

They will say it's cosmetic and it's not covered in the warranty. I know because I grilled them before I bought my Mac Pro refurb just recently. "Defective components" include things like faulty hard drives, motherboards, ram. Not scratches, I was told specifically they don't replace cosmetic issues, you may have a case if you say, and they agree, that it hinders the vision of the monitor. Try it. If you're lucky it might be dirt rather than a scratch and they will be able to clean it. If you want a guaranteed new, unscratched, pristine machine you have to buy it new or take the lucky dip. If you don't believe me, go ask Apple instant chat support on their website.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Um, no. I'm just right.

They will say it's cosmetic and it's not covered in the warranty. I know because I grilled them before I bought my Mac Pro refurb just recently. "Defective components" include things like faulty hard drives, motherboards, ram. Not scratches, I was told specifically they don't replace cosmetic issues, you may have a case if you say, and they agree, that it hinders the vision of the monitor.

A scratch on a monitor screen is not "cosmetic."

Refurbs have the same warranty as "new."

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Right, sorry.

They will say it's cosmetic and it's not covered in the warranty. I know because I grilled them before I bought my Mac Pro refurb just recently. "Defective components" include things like faulty hard drives, motherboards, ram. Not scratches, I was told specifically they don't replace cosmetic issues, you may have a case if you say, and they agree, that it hinders the vision of the monitor. Try it. If you're lucky it might be dirt rather than a scratch and they will be able to clean it. If you want a guaranteed new, unscratched, pristine machine you have to buy it new or take the lucky dip. If you don't believe me, go ask Apple instant chat support on their website.

Would you like to make a bet? Seriously. I'll put $1,000 in a legit escrow account if you will do the same, and I'll call Apple on behalf of the OP to arrange the exchange. I'll record the call as well so you can make sure I don't have an "in" ...

I've bought over 10 refurbs most were perfect, 1 had a cosmetic flesh wound but 3 had more serious cosmetic defects (like what OP mentions) and exchanges were arranged with no fuss. I'm not sure why you had an issue.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
A scratch on a monitor screen is not "cosmetic."

Refurbs have the same warranty as "new."

Well the post says a spec of dirt. It's not hampering the performance of the monitor. THey have a highly stringent scrutiny of any returned soon to be refurb product and if they have let it out they like that Im telling you they will play the cosmetic card. I asked all the questions buying mine refurb. I wish you ever bit of luck trying though...

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Well the post says a spec of dirt. It's not hampering the performance of the monitor.

The post says this:

I bought a refurb on the website when I bought my 2011 MBP and I have just noticed what I thought was a spec of dirt or something but when I tried wiping it off it wont come off. After further inspection it looks as if it is on the inside of the glass. You can't feel it on the outside and it is definitely some kind of scratch.

I'm sorry, there's no way that you, Apple, or anybody else is going to convince someone, particularly a user, that a scratched monitor screen doesn't hamper the performance of the monitor.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
haha Whoa cool your jets boys. It's like I walked into a Klan rally with a Boy George outfit on or something. Just repeating what I was told by apple that's all.

Like I said, good luck.

maw4bc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
do you all suggest me taking it in to the apple store or to call apple care first?

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
do you all suggest me taking it in to the apple store or to call apple care first?

Call first. Prepare yourself for what they will ask and say. Try the online chat on the apple site even. Just prepare yourself. Even if they say it won't work take it in and politely go for the jugular, don't take no for an answer. Say how disappointed you are in your experience, all that kind of thing that ticks their boxes. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Agreed, your only option is to call. I get the sense you hope going to the Apple store will get you a new one, but that's just being shady plus I don't know of anyone returning an online refurbished item at a store for a new item.

The play book is easy, don't be a db, just call and say there's some damage to the LCD. They will ask you to describe it, etc and process your replacement.

If that's your only LCD, you can tell them you'll order another one and wait until it arrives before sending this one back. They have never had a problem with that when I have done it in the past.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Just to chime in with my experience. I got a NEW 27" ACD from the local Apple store at Christmas. Opened it up and sure enough, under the glass was a noticeable piece of dirt or scratch. It was just like you described....you couldn't wipe it or feel it on the glass itself.

I took it to the Apple store the next day and they exchanged it no questions asked. The genius took one look and agreed that wasn't right.

Only difference with you is you bought a refurb. While refurbs are treated as new as far as the warranty is concerned, where they are different is if you want/need to exchange, you'll have to call Applecare. I don't believe they will do anything in the local Apple store for exchanges on refurbs. Most likely you'll call and have to ship it back and then they will ship you another refurb.

-Kevin

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Apple will exchange a refurb, but due to some strange accounting practice, it has to be shipped to them. They won't be able to just hand you one from the shelf.

Give AppleCare a call, they'll set up an appointment at the genius bar for you. Bring in your display, let them take a look. Then they'll order the replacement, and give you a call when it comes in.

They just replaced my first gen. MBA (which was a refurb) with a new one. It took ten days for the replacement to arrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.