Scratch on my new Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OwenMeasures, Jan 29, 2012.

1. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Bought myself a MacBook air 13" today, seen that it has a little scratch on the underneath that seems to be bugging me a bit, is there a way to remove scratch from the Aluminium cover?

2. eric/, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012

eric/ Guest

eric/

No. It's going to get scratches and stuff. If it's really bothering you, take it back.

3. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I would say no. Best bet would be to buy some sort of cover or protective film to decrease the chances of anymore scratches.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Aluminum is a fairly soft metal, and is subject to scratches. Your MBA is a tool, not a pristine work of art. Scratches will happen with use and aren't going to diminish its functionality. While some people obsess about such trivial issues, I'd recommend you ignore it and enjoy your Mac.

5. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I agree with the posts that they will scratch eventually. But I smacked my previous 13" MBA with the super drive and put a nice scratch on it. I used Novus fine scratch remover for plastic and was able to buff it out in a few minutes with a cloth. It made me feel better, then I put a iCarbon skin on it so I did not repeat. It worked for me but buyer beware :)

http://www.novuspolish.com/

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

This or buy a case to protect it. Depends on which is more important to you!

7. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

i think you need focus on what's really going on in your life (not saying you're the first) instead of worrying over a scratch on an inanimate object.

8. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

belt sander!!!

But really, just buy a case or skin or something. Don't you have something better to do than post about a little scratch??

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Just think of it as an indicator of uniqueness. You now have an Air that is unlike any other in the world!

Honestly though, scratches aren't that big of a deal, especially if it is on the bottom plate, never to be seen in normal usage.

10. YosemiteSam81 macrumors member

YosemiteSam81

I have an Invisible Shield on mine and it has kept it scratch free. Some people hate the shine that it gives so it definitely isn't a product for everybody. However, if you use them it usually covers existing scratches and prevents more.

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I'm a huge fan of the Brushed Stainless skin for the Air from icarbons.com. It will protect from scratches and keep the same silver exterior. It looks amazing...

12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

haha I used to convince myself of the same thing when it came to scratches when I had my pro haha. Glad I have yet to scratch this air. I am sure the time will come though:eek:

13. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

this is easy...just put another bigger scratch on it...then you won't worry about the first one ;-)

14. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Always remember that it is a Tool and not a Jewel!

15. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

They will send you a new one if you return it. I purchased a MBP for my girlfriend and it had what looked like a 'buff' mark on the casing. I didn't think it was a big deal, but she wanted a pristine one so we swapped it out. The only inconvenience was waiting for the new machine.

16. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Did you scratch it, or did it come scratched?
    If you did it, deal with it, if it came scratched, definitely take it back.
    First thing I do when I buy new tech is to check it all out, it is rare that they get any sort of damage in the factories but it does happen. Personally, I put a Zagg shield on my Air as soon as I got it. However, there comes a point when you have to stop stressing about how pristine a product is.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I get you. I'm always or at least try to be careful when things are especially new. But we all know 3-4 yrs down the line, you'll just bash it and not care anymore. Because there's always something better beyond the horizon.

I'd do an engraving in that area (Identification no#), or an embellishment, and you'll never notice it's there.

18. iCarbons.com macrumors newbie

iCarbons.com

He is correct we offer a brushed aluminum skin for protection and so you can keep your out of the box look!