Scratch on my Screen? Repairable?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Benguitar, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Hey everyone, I just recently noticed a small scratch/dent type thing on my MacBook's screen. I was wondering if it is repairable or if Apple would cover it since I have AppleCare.

I am a photographer and that little scratch annoys the crap out of me and makes it difficult to see if I edited out the "dust" on my photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I don't think Apple would replace it under Apple Care, unless you just bought it and say it was there when you got it or something... then maybe...

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Isn't repairable and AppleCare won't cover it, unfortunately.

4. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

I'm really starting to hate this computer....

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Laptop screens are not meant for critical editing. Get an external display.

Is it on the surface or is it the LCD?

6. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

I can feel the scratch on the screen so my guess is the surface.

7. redcrow240 macrumors member

well you can save money for a while and do a swap to a matte screen down the road if you want (ive seen it mentioned in the forums from a place on line that does this). Another option would be to sell it and take a small hit and buy another one when the refresh comes.

My approach would be to save on the side and imagine that youre not gonna have it for long. By saving you'll be giving yourself the option of maybe selling it and combining your funds towards another comp down the road (apple or otherwise). Its just a mechanism for you to stop worrying about it and enjoy your computer a little more by tricking yourself a little bit :). I use it all the time.

For example, im trying to save money in order to get a macbook air rev B. I have a macbook unibody 2.4 but I want the better macbook air display (i can live without the optical or extra usb) and the lighter weight. Since I'm saving and giving myself a goal, ive come to enjoy my CURRENT macbook a whole lot more because I see it as a temporary instead of a permanent (regardless of what it ultimately becomes). I might get an air, I might not...but until then im not worrying so much about being stuck with no options. Hope this helps

8. Remedy156 macrumors newbie

If you would like to go to extremes, you can always get it repaired by a 3rd party if its not able to be repaired by Apple.
    My screen on my white macbook had cracked in December and I had sent it in to a company called TechRestore. I ordered the repair online, and drove over to FedEx to put my macbook in a box and sent it over. I had it sent back to my home within two days. I was pleased with the result.

http://techrestore.com/powerbook/

I thought it was fairly easy, but a bit pricy. I hope this helps, Benguitar.