Scratch on NEW Alu 13" MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tmont27, Feb 10, 2009.

1. tmont27 macrumors newbie

Its a sad sad day...there's a large scratch on my 1 month old 13" Alu MacBook. Does anyone have the link to an old thread or know of a way to fix or get the scratches fixed?

Thanks

2. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Not really a whole lot you can do. Sanding it would make the groove smoother but it would take off the coating that's on the aluminum to keep it from oxidizing.

3. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

i dont want to imagin what ure going through but Invisible Shield or any of the other protective skins would of been a great protection only if you had it.
    anyways check out what they said here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=609967&highlight=scratch

4. dquattlebum macrumors member

5. om3ga785 macrumors member

Couldn't be happier with the see-thru satin cover too. bought it the day i got my Macbook. especailly when i go mobile alot.

i even took it one step further and picked up the incase 13.3 sleeve too. :D i'm very protective of my investments.

6. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Aluminum is a type of metal, so it will scratch pretty easily. Sorry about that though. Scratches are hard to fix, but dents are harder. I have a small dent near the DVD drive, but I'm fine with it. If it's a big problem, buy a case for it.

7. svndmvn Guest

brasso is more likely for glossy stuff, not anodized, in which case the only fix would be anodizing it again??

8. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

very sorry to hear about your scratch! check the thread i just made for some deals on casing options. REALLY good deals.

also, you can cover the scratch and protect from further scratches by applying a skin: www.macstyles.com

hope this helps

9. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Sure it's a bummer but it's going to happen eventually. And putting a big gay plastic box on it (see Speck products) is just going to take away from the look.

It's a good looking piece of hardware, let it shine, look at it and appreciate it. Don't cover it, that defeats the purpose.

Any pictures?

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

11. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

I wasn't ware that plastic could have a sexuality?

Anyway, some people may actually WANT to cover the scratch and protect from further scratches. To each his own, right?

12. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Yea, sure, you're absolutely right, to each is own.

I'm just saying, if you have it covered up then you can't really see the aluminum that is so amazing, it's like it's not there.

I feel the same way about those black rubber stone guards on sports cars. They cover the bumper and protect against small debris. Ok cool, when you have 100,000 miles on the car you'll have stone chips everywhere except for the front, cool.

These are just my thoughts on the matter

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

you do now!

14. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Who want's to touch my plastic.

15. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I'd rather not put plastic on my new aluminum macbook, kinda defeats the purpose

16. piimaPAKK macrumors member

Whatever you do, dont polish it out. You will polish away the anodized coat and then you will get scratches much more easily.