Scratch on screen, less than 2 weeks old!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hessdesigns, Feb 6, 2009.

1. hessdesigns macrumors member

Hey everybody. I've been searching the forums and only seen a couple things relating to this. I got my MBP (Early 08; trying to save some cash) from Amazon less than two weeks ago.

The other day I noticed a sizable scratch in the middle of the screen, equal to where the spacebar or top of the trackpad is when the lid is closed. It's probably a couple inches wide. It's WAY to straight to even be considered that I somehow did it. Since day 1 I've babied it, and I have it inside a Booq Vyper case (a semi-hard case, if you don't know) and then inside another bag, so it's very well protected.

While some may say it's cosmetic, I do motion graphic design, and a lot of precision work, so I'm looking at a lot of detail close-up and it's not like it's hidden down in a corner.

Here's the question: any chance AppleCare will take care of this? And the other question: can this be in any way considered user-created and then not be eligible for extended AppleCare? I think I'll just set up an appointment at the genius bar, but thought I'd try to get some opinions from you good people here. I'm hoping they can just do some kind of quick-fix, like replacing the screen cover. Is that even possible?

Thanks for your help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare does not cover damage, only defects in materials or workmanship. They won't cover it.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Possible to take photos of it?

If it's less than 2 weeks old, you can return it to apple without question.
    Seek a refund and they'll check to see the system is in the box and ask specified,
    or seek an exchange, they might ask why...

4. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

I'm at work right now, but I'll try to take pics later... Thanks for the replies already. I may try and return, but it was purchased on Amazon, so I'll have to figure that one out...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would Apple take it as a return, when it wasn't purchased from them in the first place?

6. emotta macrumors member

can it be from the space bar rubbing against the screen when its closed??? if so, im never closing mine!

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh, my bad! Miss that part. :(

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

NO. Space bar has NEVER been an issue even on old iBook G3.

9. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Could it be the part of the case directly below the keyboard, but above the trackpad? I know there's supposed to be a gap between the screen and the base of the laptop, but that edge is quite sharp, and I can't see it coming from anything other than that.

There's this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446927

And this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358498

They're both somewhat inconclusive, which is why I made another post...

Oh, and couldn't this be somehow considered a "defect in workmanship/manufacturing process"? Like somehow it got scratched when being assembled in the factory?

10. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Pics would be nice because it's hard to imagine how you'd get a scratch by closing it up...some keyboards will make contact with the screens as they close, but to actually make a scratch that's a "couple inches wide"? :confused:

Very strange.

11. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

In the first thread you linked, a poster discovered they weren't actual scratches (i.e. he wiped them clean)...maybe you can try that?

If it were a defect in manufacturing, you would have noticed right away. That might have been a passible excuse if you notified them right after you got it. But you've had it for 2 weeks or so...

Sounds to me like you're looking for a story to tell Apple/Amazon...

I don't blame you, cuz from what you've said, you might need to bend the truth for a free repair or return.

12. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... Yes, I admit it took me a bit. It's also that it's really easy to see when light hits it, but harder when it's dark. And I did try cleaning it, with the cleaning cloth included.

Looking for a story? Not really. Just looking to see if anybody else has had this problem, or if it's just me.

13. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

14. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Well...you went from this:

To this:

And you also said this:

And this:

They all kind of contradict one another.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, don't let anyone tell you that these are cosmetic flaws or that a scratch caused by the trackpad button or the spacebar, isn't Apple's fault. It's a flaw in their design, and there should be a recall of all screens that fall into this category of cosmetic flaw, not affecting the overall operation of the Mac. Take it back to the Apple Store and ask them to fix the screen and they will tell you it's not covered by AppleCare, b/c it's damaged by the user. Ask them what the cost is to fix your screen, and they'll say "$700 and we can do it right now!" Then mention that your (2) week old $2499 MBP is now worth $1799. Then speak to the Store Manager, then send an email to Customer Relations, then expect the Store Manager to call you up and offer you a shopping spree to pick-out a new MBP. That's what happened to me and I'm really happy; now, I always keep the foam insert that came with my MacBooks, between the screen and keyboard 24/7 and there has never been a problem after that... (PM me if you like):eek:

16. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I was hoping for some advice/guidance, not the inquisition/cynicism from miggitymac. I was never seeking a brand-new laptop, it's just that this should not happen after a week and a half of light use! And if others have the same problem, it gives a little validity and weight to my problem.

17. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Haha...I apologize for the cynicism...I guess I've just seen enough threads of people trying to get Apple to take responsibility for things that are the fault of the user.

I was just trying to point out that the things you were saying were said in a confusing manner and seemed to contradict each other.

Either way, I hope things turn out well for you and that you get it resolved. There are plenty of posts out there that show that Apple will do things that no other company will do...who knows, maybe you'll get a Unibody as a replacement?

That'd be sweet.;)